Are you ready for this? These quick and easy pickled red onions are going to change your life. They are incredibly versatile and add amazing acidity to otherwise simple dishes. I put them on everything from tacos to scrambled eggs to salads and sandwiches. They take normal dishes completely over the top.
You would think that pickling vegetables is a task that would take your grandmother night and day to make but no, this is probably the easiest thing that you can make. You literally combine a bunch of ingredients into a jar, let it sit for half an hour and that's it. You can use up these pickled onions immediately, or, here's the best part, store them in the refrigerator for 3-4 weeks and use them as you please. I think that calls for a doubling/tripling of this recipe!! You’ll be so thankful to have the leftover pickled red onions on hand in your fridge.
Pickled Red Onion and Blue Cheese Spinach Salad:
Get the recipe here.
These quick and easy pickled red onions are going to change your life. They are incredibly versatile and add amazing acidity to otherwise simple dishes. I put them on everything from tacos to scrambled eggs to salads and sandwiches.
- 4 cups water
- 1 and ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- In a large mason jar or sealable container combine vinegar, sugar, salt, and peppercorns.
- Bring water to a boil. Place sliced red onion in a colander and then pour boiling water on top to blanch the onions. Transfer onions to the container with pickling liquid, seal, and let sit for at least 30 minutes.
- Use the pickled onions on your favourite salads and sandwiches and store the rest in the refrigerator for 3-4 weeks.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes + 30 minutes wait time