These quick and easy pickled red onions are going to change your life. They are incredibly versatile and add amazing acidity to otherwise simple dishes. I put them on everything from tacos to scrambled eggs to salads and sandwiches.
- 4 cups water
- 1 and 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- In a large mason jar or sealable container combine vinegar, sugar, salt, and peppercorns.
- Bring water to a boil. Place sliced red onion in a colander and then pour boiling water on top to blanch the onions. Transfer onions to the container with pickling liquid, seal, and let sit for at least 30 minutes.
- Use the pickled onions on your favourite salads and sandwiches and store the rest in the refrigerator for 3-4 weeks.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes + 30 minutes wait time