Homemade poppy seed dressing is sweet, savory, and fresh. It's an olive oil and balsamic based salad dressing that is loaded with poppy seeds with a touch of honey for sweetness. Plus, it's quick and easy to make in just 5 minutes with a handful of ingredients. Seriously, why stock up on store-bought dressings when you can make a fresh batch whenever you are craving a salad? It's so much better for you and the fresh and vibrant flavor is just unmatched. Homemade beats store-bought any day!
Why You’ll Love Homemade Poppyseed Dressing
- Packed with poppy seeds. As its name suggest, this dressing is packed with poppy seeds. Not only do they add a savory and nutty flavor that is amazing (especially on salads), but they are also so nutritious. Poppy seeds contain lots of magnesium, calcium, fiber, and antioxidants. So, this dressing doesn’t just look and taste great—it’s good for you, too.
- Better than store-bought. This salad dressing is easy to make in 5 minutes (way faster than running to the store to pick up some dressing), it's healthier for you (it doesn't contain any preservatives and other additives that are commonly found in store-bought dressings), and it's so much more flavorful (fresh ingredients = better flavor).
- An option for creaminess. Mayonnaise is like a secret agent for sauces. You can use it to add creaminess to almost any sauce or dressing, elevating it to new heights. And that goes for this poppyseed salad dressing, too!
Ingredients and Substitutions
To make this easy and delicious poppy seed salad dressing, you will need the following ingredients:
- olive oil
- balsamic vinegar - you can substitute with red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar.
- honey - you can substitute this with granulated sugar for a vegan option, or leave it completely out for a non-sweet version.
- poppy seeds
- salt and pepper
- mayonnaise - optional for a creamier dressing. I didn't add it in to the dressing this time, but I often do.
How to Make the Best Poppy Seed Dressing
To make this 5-minute recipe, all you need to do is add all the ingredients into a medium mixing bowl and stir well with a spoon until combined. You can also place the ingredients into a mason jar and seal with the lid. Then, shake until well combined.
Use immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. Shake or stir well before using to prevent separation.
What Salad Goes with Poppy Seed Dressing?
You can pair this homemade poppy seed dressing with almost any salad that you want to elevate with a balsamic vinaigrette style dressing with a bit of sweetness. I recommend pairing this with a Strawberry Avocado Salad or any Mixed Greens Salad.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- How long will homemade poppyseed dressing last: Since homemade dressings lack preservatives, they taste better (and are better for you), but they don’t last as long. As a rule, your dressing will only last as long as the ingredient that will spoil first. So typically, if you omit the mayo, this poppyseed dressing will last for up to 2 weeks. With the mayo, it will last for about a week, until it separates.
- How to store: Store in an airtight container or mason jar in the refrigerator.
- Substitutions and additions: Homemade dressings are a hub of creativity. So, don’t let this recipe put you in a box. Follow it to a tee the first time you make it, but then adjust the quantities to your liking. At home, you’re the chef!
More Salad Dressing Recipes
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.