Homemade poppy seed dressing is sweet, savory, and fresh. It's a quick and easy olive oil and balsamic salad dressing that is loaded with poppy seeds.
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 + 1/2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon mayonnaise (optional for a creamier dressing)
- Add all ingredients into a medium mixing bowl and stir well with a spoon until combined. Or place in a mason jar and seal with the lid. Shake until well combined.
- Use immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. Shake or stir well before using to prevent separation.
How long will homemade poppyseed dressing last: Since homemade dressings lack preservatives, they taste better (and are better for you), but they don’t last as long. As a rule, your dressing will only last as long as the ingredient that will spoil first. So typically, if you omit the mayo, this poppyseed dressing will last for up to 2 weeks. With the mayo, it will last for about a week, until it separates.
How to store: Store in an airtight container or mason jar in the refrigerator.
Substitutions and additions: Homemade dressings are a hub of creativity. So, don’t let this recipe put you in a box. Follow it to a tee the first time you make it, but then adjust the quantities to your liking. At home, you’re the chef!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Dressing
- Method: Stir
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: poppy seed dressing, homemade poppy seed dressing, poppyseed dressing, salad dressing with poppy seeds