Sooo now that Thanksgiving is over, it seems like we jump right into the Christmas holiday spirit! Which means we can officially start baking all those delicious Christmas sweets and fill our kitchen up with those amazing aromatic scents! I am kicking this off this year with this delicious glazed gingerbread bundt cake with nut topping.
You guys, it seriously smells like a European Christmas market in my house right now. Gingerbread has got to be one of my favourite flavours of the holidays and my favourite scent to spread all over my house. So it’s kind of obvious that gingerbread flavoured desserts are a must in our household every year. The classic option are usually gingerbread cookies but if you are looking for something that is so much easier, gingerbread bundt cake is for you! This stuff looks like it took some serious holiday magic and all day to prepare but no… it only takes less than 20 minutes to prepare and be ready for the oven.
What takes the beauty of this dessert to another level is the gorgeous white glaze and chopped nuts. It literally looks like snow and beautiful winter stars. I hope you are ready to bring some holiday magic to your kitchen this year!
Make Your Own Gingerbread Spice Mix
This recipe calls for gingerbread spice mix. You can also make your own with a few simple ingredients:
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
This glazed gingerbread bundt cake with nut topping is festive, easy to make, and perfect for the holidays or anytime of year!
- 1 and 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 2 and 1/4 teaspoons gingerbread spice mix (see above in post for homemade mix)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted (but cooled down)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons of your favourite syrup, freshly squeezed orange or lemon juice, or water
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts
- Preheat oven to 410 F.
- In a medium bowl, sift flour, baking powder, pinch of salt and gingerbread spice mix. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs together using a hand whisk. Slowly add granulated (white) sugar and continue to whisk until the mixture turns into a light yellow colour.
- Mix in brown sugar and vanilla until combined. Add melted butter and buttermilk and continue to whisk.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients while continuing to mix.
- Grease and flour a 7-inch bundt cake pan. Pour the cake batter into the pan and bake for 40-50 minutes. Check if it is ready by sticking a toothpick into the center of the cake and then removing it. The toothpick must come out clean.
- Cool down the cake completely before removing from the cake pan.
- Mix the icing sugar with syrup or juice. To keep the glaze white, I prefer to use lemon juice or water. Syrups or juices may slightly change the color of glaze. Note that if you add juice or water, add it slowly and mix well until you reach the consistency that you want.
- Cover the cake with the glaze. Decorate the top with chopped nuts.