Butternut squash curry with chickpeas is a rich and hearty one pot meal that will satisfy your fall comfort food cravings. Loaded with butternut squash, chickpeas, and bell peppers swimming in a delicious creamy coconut curry sauce that is loaded with flavor — savory, sweet, salty, and nutty. Butternut squash red curry is the perfect weeknight dinner to feed a family, and also great when you have guests with different dietary needs. It’s dairy-free and gluten-free, and with a simple modification, it can be made vegan and vegetarian. Serve it over rice or a side of naan, or pita bread.
Why You’ll Love Butternut Squash Curry with Chickpeas
- Butternut squash is tasty and healthy! Butternut squash curry is packed with more than just flavor. Butternut squash contains essential vitamins, minerals, fiber, and antioxidants. The sweet, nutty flavor of this winter squash is perfect for this savory curry that complements the flavor and texture of chickpeas.
- The savory, creamy curry sauce. The key player in this butternut squash curry with chickpeas is obviously the butternut curry, but the creamy curry sauce gives it a run for it’s money. Made with red curry paste, coconut milk, fish sauce, and lime, and flavored with sautéed onions and garlic, and fresh basil, this curry sauce is unreal — delicious, creamy, and so flavorful.
- Don’t forget about the chickpeas. I love cooking with canned chickpeas because it is so easy—and it’s super healthy. One can of chickpeas contains about 60 grams of protein. That’s more than one chicken breast and about as much as 10 large eggs!
Ingredients and Substitutions
To make this butternut squash curry with chickpeas, you will need the following ingredients (full quantities in the recipe card below):
- coconut oil - you can substitute with almost any vegetable oil such as avocado oil.
- bell pepper - I used red bell pepper but feel free to use any color you’d like.
- butternut squash
- red curry paste
- coconut milk
- fish sauce - leave this out to make this dish vegan or vegetarian.
- lime - we use both lime juice and zest for maximum flavor.
- chickpeas - I use canned chickpeas for convenience. If using chickpeas that you cooked from scratch, use about 1 + ⅔ cups.
- basil leaves
Butternut squash red curry is completely customizable. Feel free to add in you favorite veggies. I like to throw in snap peas, green beans, broccoli, and/or cauliflower.
How to Make the Best Butternut Squash Curry with Chickpeas
- Sauté aromatics. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high hear until the oil sizzles, about 1 minute. Add onion, garlic, and bell pepper and sauté until tender, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add butternut squash. Add butternut squash and curry paste. Stir well until evenly combined and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add liquid ingredients and simmer. Add coconut milk, fish sauce, lime zest, and lime juice. Stir well to combine and bring the sauce to a boil. Reduce to medium heat and let the sauce simmer for 10-12 minutes until the butternut squash softens, stirring occasionally.
- Add remaining ingredients. Add chickpeas. Mix well and cook until heated through, about 2-3 minutes. Stir in basil leaves and cook for 1 minute.
- Serve. Serve immediately with coconut rice or basmati rice.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- How to serve: Butternut squash curry with chickpeas tastes best when paired with Coconut Rice or Basmati Rice. I also recommend eating it with Garlic Naan Bread or Pita Bread.
- How to store: Keep leftover butternut squash curry with chickpeas in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to four days.
- How to freeze: Portion curry into airtight freezer bags or airtight containers before freezing. Freeze for up to three months. When ready to eat, thaw it overnight or all day in the refrigerator before reheating.
- How to reheat: Reheat leftover curry in a covered saucepan over medium-low heat for about 10 minutes until warmed through. If the curry becomes too thick, add extra coconut milk, water, or chicken broth.
More Butternut Squash Recipes
- 20 Best Butternut Squash Recipes
- Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- Air Fryer Butternut Squash
- Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese
- Curried Chickpea Stuffed Acorn Squash
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Cauliflower Soup
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.