Butternut squash curry with chickpeas is a rich hearty one pot meal that will satisfy your fall comfort food cravings. Great for weeknight family dinners.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, sliced
- 3 cups butternut squash, peeled and diced (about 1/2 medium squash)
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 1 (13.5 oz.) can coconut milk (about 1.5 cups)
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 lime, juiced and zested
- 1 (14 oz.) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high hear until the oil sizzles, about 1 minute. Add onion, garlic, and bell pepper and sauté until tender, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add butternut squash and curry paste. Stir well until evenly combined and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, fish sauce, lime zest, and lime juice. Stir well to combine and bring the sauce to a boil. Reduce to medium heat and let the sauce simmer for 10-12 minutes until the butternut squash softens, stirring occasionally.
- Add chickpeas. Mix well and cook until heated through, about 2-3 minutes. Stir in basil leaves and cook for 1 minute.
- Serve immediately with coconut rice or basmati rice.
How to store: Keep leftover butternut squash curry with chickpeas in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to four days.
How to freeze: Portion curry into airtight freezer bags or airtight containers before freezing. Freeze for up to three months. When ready to eat, thaw it overnight or all day in the refrigerator before reheating.
How to reheat: Reheat leftover curry in a covered saucepan over medium-low heat for about 10 minutes until warmed through. If the curry becomes too thick, add extra coconut milk, water, or chicken broth
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Thai
Keywords: butternut squash curry with chickpeas, butternut squash red curry, thai red curry with butternut squash,