So this just happened. Butter chicken pot pies. A flaky, buttery puff pastry crust, creamy butter chicken filling inside with added potatoes, carrots and peas, and a whole lot of comfort with a kick. East meets west.
Let me tell you how these were created. I was craving a pot pie, but we had a lot of food in our fridge already that we needed to eat, including a batch of butter chicken that I had made the day before. Danny came up with the genius idea of repurposing our butter chicken leftovers into mini pot pies. The batch of butter chicken went a long way especially once we added lots of potatoes, carrots, sweet corn and peas to bulk it up.
Ingredients in Butter Chicken Pot Pie
To make this butter chicken pot pie, you will need the following ingredients:
- butter chicken
- vegetables - potatoes, carrots, sweet corn, green peas
- seasoning - salt and pepper, Italiano seasoning (optional)
- vegetable oil
- pie dough - all-purpose flour, butter, salt, ice water
- egg - for egg wash
How to Make Butter Chicken Pot Pies
There are three main steps in creating butter chicken pot pies. First, you prepare the butter chicken filling. Next, you prepare the pie dough. Then, you assemble the pot pies and bake.
1. Prepare the butter chicken filling. In a large cooking pan, add butter chicken, potato, and carrots. Cook for a few minutes, then add in sweet corn, green peas, black pepper and Italiano seasoning.
2. Prepare the pie dough. Add flour, butter, and salt into a food processor. Pulse for approximately 1 minute. Then drizzle ice water into the mixture, pulse for another 1 minute. Transfer mixture onto a clean work surface and form a dough. Divide into 4 small discs. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
3. Assemble and bake the pot pies. Roll out each disc, one at a time, into 2 round circles. Press one circle into a 4-inch ramekin, add a spoonful of butter chicken filling, and place second circle of dough on top. Seal it in, crimp edges with a fork, and poke some ventilation holes. Brush the tops of pies with egg wash and bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
More Indian Inspired Recipes to Try
- Indian butter chicken
- Tandoori chicken sheet pan dinner
- Coconut curry lentil soup
- Pumpkin chickpea coconut curry
- Coconut curry pumpkin soup
East meets west in these butter chicken pot pies with a flaky, buttery puff pastry crust, creamy butter chicken filling inside, and a whole lot of comfort.
Butter Chicken Filling
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 5 cups homemade butter chicken
- 2 medium potatoes, diced into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup carrots, diced into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup sweet corn, frozen
- 1/2 cup green peas, frozen
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Italiano seasoning (optional)
- 3 cups all-purpose white flour
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter, cubed into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup ice water
- 1 egg, beaten (for egg wash)
Prepare the butter chicken filling:
- Preheat oil in a large cooking pan over medium heat. Add butter chicken, potato, and carrots. Cover, and cook for 5 minutes. The potato should feel soft but not mashed.
- Add in sweet corn, green peas, black pepper, and Italiano seasoning (optional). Stir to combine, then remove from heat and let it sit for 20 minutes to cool down.
Prepare the pie dough:
- Add flour, butter, and salt into a food processor. Pulse mix on and off until mixture forms into small pieces of dough, approximately 1 minute. Drizzle ice water into the mixture (ice water is the key here). Close the lid and continue to pulse for another 1 minute, until the dough turns into a breadcrumb consistency.
- Transfer the dough (breadcrumbs consistency) onto a clean work surface. Use your hands to squeeze all of the pieces together until it forms into a dough. Shape it into a smooth disc. Divide the disc evenly into quarters and reshape into 4 small discs. Wrap each disc separately in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Assemble and bake the butter chicken pot pies:
- Take out one disc of dough at a time from the refrigerator and roll into 2 round circles, approximately 6-inches in diameter and 1/4-inch thick (One will be used for top crust and one for the bottom crust).
- Gently press one circle of dough into a 4-inch ramekin. Use a small spoon to fill the bowl with the butter chicken filling. Place the second circle over the bowl to form a lid (It should completely cover the edge of the bowl). Press down to seal the edge and remove any excess dough. Crimp the edge with a fork, and poke a few small ventilation holes on top of the pie.
- Brush the top of the pie generously with the egg wash. Repeat steps for remaining three pies.
- Bake in 360 F oven for 30 to 35 minutes until the top is golden brown.
- If your homemade butter chicken is made with large cubes of chicken, I would recommend cutting the chicken into smaller 1/2-inch cubes so that all the ingredients in the pot pie are the same consistent size.
- To make with store-bought butter chicken sauce instead: Cook 3 boneless, skinless chicken thighs in the air fryer at 350 F for 20 minutes, or bake in the oven at 350 F for 3o minutes (you can marinate according to my butter chicken recipe, or skip the marination altogether. Dice the chicken into 1/2-inch cubes. Preheat oil in a cooking pan over medium heat. Add 4 cups of butter chicken sauce and stir to evenly cook. Then add in chicken along with the potato. Follow remaining steps as set out above.
- Category: Chicken
Keywords: butter chicken pot pie, pot pie, butter chicken