East meets west in these butter chicken pot pies with a flaky, buttery puff pastry crust, creamy butter chicken filling inside, and a whole lot of comfort.
Butter Chicken Filling
- 1 + 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 cups homemade butter chicken
- 1 medium potato, diced into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup carrots, diced into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup sweet corn, frozen
- 1/2 cup green peas, frozen
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon Italiano seasoning (optional)
- 3 cups all-purpose white flour
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter, cubed into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup ice water
- 1 egg, beaten (for egg wash)
Prepare the butter chicken filling:
- Preheat oil in a large cooking pan over medium heat. Add butter chicken, potato, and carrots. Cover, and cook for 5 minutes. The potato should feel soft but not mashed.
- Add in sweet corn, green peas, black pepper, and Italiano seasoning (optional). Stir to combine, then remove from heat and let it sit for 20 minutes to cool down.
Prepare the pie dough:
- Add flour, butter, and salt into a food processor. Pulse mix on and off until mixture forms into small pieces of dough, approximately 1 minute. Drizzle ice water into the mixture (ice water is the key here). Close the lid and continue to pulse for another 1 minute, until the dough turns into a breadcrumb consistency.
- Transfer the dough (breadcrumbs consistency) onto a clean work surface. Use your hands to squeeze all of the pieces together until it forms into a dough. Shape it into a smooth disc. Divide the disc evenly into quarters and reshape into 4 small discs. Wrap each disc separately in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Assemble and bake the butter chicken pot pies:
- Take out one disc of dough at a time from the refrigerator and roll into 2 round circles, approximately 6-inches in diameter and 1/4-inch thick (One will be used for top crust and one for the bottom crust).
- Gently press one circle of dough into a 4-inch ramekin. Use a small spoon to fill the bowl with the butter chicken filling. Place the second circle over the bowl to form a lid (It should completely cover the edge of the bowl). Press down to seal the edge and remove any excess dough. Crimp the edge with a fork, and poke a few small ventilation holes on top of the pie.
- Brush the top of the pie generously with the egg wash. Repeat steps for remaining three pies.
- Bake in 360 F oven for 30 to 35 minutes until the top is golden brown.
Chicken: If your homemade butter chicken is made with large cubes of chicken, I would recommend cutting the chicken into smaller 1/2-inch cubes so that all the ingredients in the pot pie are the same consistent size.
Store-bought butter chicken sauce: To make with store-bought butter chicken sauce instead, cook 3 boneless, skinless chicken thighs in the air fryer at 350 F for 20 minutes, or bake in the oven at 350 F for 3o minutes (you can marinate according to my butter chicken recipe, or skip the marination altogether. Dice the chicken into 1/2-inch cubes. Preheat oil in a cooking pan over medium heat. Add 4 cups of butter chicken sauce and stir to evenly cook. Then add in chicken along with the potato. Follow remaining steps as set out above.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: butter chicken pot pie, pot pie, butter chicken, indian butter chicken, comfort food