This lentil stew with carrots and potatoes is not just for all the vegan, vegetarian and gluten-free people out there! It is delicious and hearty and makes for a nutritious and filling meal tonight!
When I was young, I was a very picky eater (I know, crazy right?!). But one food that I would never hesitate to eat was lentils. As a result, my mom would make it for me quite often. Sometimes, she would even make this especially for me in addition to whatever dinner she was making that night just to make sure that I would eat! I mean, I guess I am still a little picky in the sense that I prefer recipes that are healthy...
I find this stew to be perfect in the fall and winter seasons. It makes both a great lunch or a dinner. I can eat this with a spoon but I would suggest serving this with a side of grains. When I make this for dinner, I serve it over a cup of Basmati rice. For lunch, I keep it a little lighter by having it with a side of bread. I will literally dip my bread in and scoop up a chunk of this stew. My favourite type of bread with this dish is Persian Barbari bread.
This stew also reheats very well and makes for amazing left overs the next day (or two!). This dish will last for up to 3 days in the fridge. Just make sure it is covered well or sealed in a tupperware container. Or even better, stick the whole saucepan in the fridge. It will make reheating super easy! If you make a large batch, you can also freeze this stew for up to one month and thaw it on a weeknight when you are too tired to make dinner.
This hearty, vegan Middle Eastern vegetarian lentil stew with carrots and potatoes makes for a nutritious and wholesome meal tonight!
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1 cup)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 2 cups brown lentils
- 2 medium carrots, sliced (1 cup)
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 4 cups water
- ½ tablespoon Italiano seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large russet potato, peeled and cubed
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the onions and turmeric. Mix until onions are all evenly coated yellow. Saute onions until translucent and starting to brown (about 3-4 minutes). Take off heat and set aside.
- In a medium-large saucepan, Add the lentils, carrots, tomato paste, water, Italiano seasoning, salt and pepper. Add the fried onions. Stir to combine. Heat the saucepan over high until contents begin to boil. Then turn to low and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Add the russet potatoes to the saucepan and stir. Continue simmering for 15 minutes uncovered.
- Cover and continue to simmer for 30 mins.
- Check on the lentils. If the water level is very low, add one more cup of water and simmer for 15 more minutes.
- Season with more salt and pepper, as desired.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour 15 mins
- Category: Vegetarian
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern