This hearty, vegan Middle Eastern vegetarian lentil stew with carrots and potatoes makes for a nutritious and wholesome meal tonight!
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 cups brown lentils
- 2 medium carrots, sliced (1 cup)
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large russet potato, peeled and cubed
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat
- Add the onions and turmeric. Mix until onions are all evenly coated yellow.
- Saute onions until translucent and starting to brown (about 3-4 minutes).
- Take off heat and set aside.
- In a medium-large saucepan, Add the lentils, carrots, tomato paste, water, salt and pepper. Add the fried onions. Stir to combine.
- Heat the saucepan over high until contents begin to boil. Then turn to low and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Add the russet potatoes to the saucepan and stir. Continue simmering for 15 minutes uncovered.
- Cover and continue to simmer for 30 mins.
- Check on the lentils. If the water level is very low, add one more cup of water and simmer for 15 more minutes.
- Season with more salt and pepper, as desired.