This hearty, vegan Middle Eastern vegetarian lentil stew with carrots and potatoes makes for a nutritious and wholesome meal tonight!
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 cups brown lentils
- 2 medium carrots, sliced (1 cup)
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 tablespoon Italiano seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large russet potato, peeled and cubed
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the onions and turmeric. Mix until onions are all evenly coated yellow. Saute onions until translucent and starting to brown (about 3-4 minutes). Take off heat and set aside.
- In a medium-large saucepan, Add the lentils, carrots, tomato paste, water, Italiano seasoning, salt and pepper. Add the fried onions. Stir to combine. Heat the saucepan over high until contents begin to boil. Then turn to low and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Add the russet potatoes to the saucepan and stir. Continue simmering for 15 minutes uncovered.
- Cover and continue to simmer for 30 mins.
- Check on the lentils. If the water level is very low, add one more cup of water and simmer for 15 more minutes.
- Season with more salt and pepper, as desired.
- Category: Vegetarian
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern