We are really going through our dried bean stash over here, as it seems like canned beans are out of stock at all the grocery stores. Today's bean recipe that I am sharing are delicious, vegan and gluten-free, one pot red kidney beans.
Do Kidney Beans Boost Your Immune System?
Yes! Kidney beans contain antioxidants that boost the immune system. They are also an excellent source of healthy amino acids (aka protein), vitamins and minerals which help build the cells of our immune systems. Plus, these one pot red kidney beans are spiced with both turmeric and cumin, which both help boost the immune system.
They also have a number of other health benefits, including:
- improves heart health and lowers cholesterol
- supports brain function and improves memory
- natural detoxifier
- aids in digestion
- supports weight loss
- has anti-aging properties
How to Cook the Best Kidney Beans
To make the best kidney beans, follow these key preparation steps:
- pick them over to remove any small stones or debris that may be hiding in your beans.
- pre soak the beans for at least 8 hours or overnight. This will cause the beans to absorb moisture and increase in size, and in turn will make the beans cook faster.
- soak with baking soda to remove the gassiness from the beans and make them easier to digest.
Once your beans are ready, cook them with sauteed onions and garlic and a combination of spices including turmeric, cumin, and dried mint.
Tips for Making Kidney Beans
- How to store beans. Kidney beans reheat really well and makes for amazing leftovers. They can be stored in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. They also freeze really well and can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- How to reheat beans. When you are ready to eat, simply allow thaw the beans in the refrigerator and then reheat for a few minutes in a saucepan. The best part is that frozen kidney beans will pretty much taste the same as they did on the day that you made them. This is why I never cook a small batch. I always double up on the recipe so that I can freeze any extras for weeks or months to come.
- How to serve beans. Serve one pot kidney beans over white rice or with some homemade biscuits on the side.
More Bean Recipes
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.