Creamy broccoli slaw salad is healthy, delicious, and flavourful. It's packed with crunchy vegetables, salty feta, sweet raisins, and a creamy dressing so tasty, you will be shocked that it's actually good for you! This quick and easy dish is perfect to serve at your next BBQ as an alternative to a leafy green salad, or even as a light dinner next to a piece of grilled chicken or fish. Either way, it will easily become your new favourite way to get in your daily dose of veggies.
Why You'll Love Creamy Broccoli Slaw Salad
- It's a super simple recipe. This vibrant colorful broccoli slaw is so easy, anyone can make it. You literally just throw all the ingredients together into one bowl and toss to combine. You have yourself a healthy and delicious meal that feels light, yet still fills you up.
- Perfect for meal prep. One of the best things about this raw broccoli salad is that it's easy to make ahead. Although it is ready to eat after sitting tossed with the dressing for 30 minutes, you will definitely want to make it the day before if you have the time, as it gets better the longer it sits! Don’t be surprised when this slaw disappears quickly, it’s a total crowd pleaser.
- Broccoli is a superfood. This popular vegetable is packed with nutrients and antioxidants, including iron, potassium, calcium, selenium, magnesium, folic acid, and vitamins A, C, E, K, and B! This salad is a delicious way to get in all those nutrients.
Ingredients and Substitutions
To make this delicious and healthy creamy broccoli slaw salad, you will need the following ingredients:
- broccoli florets
- purple cabbage
- feta cheese - you can substitute this with goat cheese, if desired.
- raisins - you can substitute this with cranberries or other dried fruit.
- pine nuts - or substitute with your favorite toasted nuts. Try toasted walnuts, slivered almonds, or pumpkin seeds.
- dressing - made with mayonnaise (or sour cream or Greek yogurt), dijon mustard, white wine vinegar, lemon juice, shallot, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
This salad is infinitely adaptable to whatever is in your fridge. Just leave the dressing as is because it’s so good.
How to Make the Best Creamy Broccoli Slaw Salad
- Prep the vegetables. Cut the bottoms off the heads of broccoli so you’re left with small sized florets. Then, trim the bottoms so they’re not longer than 1-inch, and roughly chop.
- Combine the ingredients. In a large mixing bowl or serving bowl, combine broccoli, cabbage, feta, raisins, pine nuts, and scallions.
- Make the dressing. In a small mixing bowl, add mayonnaise, dijon mustard, white wine vinegar, lemon juice, shallot, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine. Slowly drizzle in olive oil and whisk until all ingredients are incorporated. You can add additional 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil if you prefer a thinner dressing.
- Toss to combine. Add dressing to the slaw, and toss all ingredients together. Let the slaw sit for 30 minutes, or up to overnight in the refrigerator. Serve cold or at room temperature.
Tips and Tricks
- How to make ahead and store: Store the salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Typically, I would recommend storing salads with the dressing on the side to avoid the veggies from getting too soggy. However, the raw broccoli really holds its shape even with dressing. In fact, the longer you store the salad, the better it gets as it allows all the flavors from the dressing to infuse into the broccoli.
- How to make this vegan: You can easily make this a vegan salad by substituting the mayonnaise with a vegan mayonnaise, and leaving out the feta cheese.
More Salad Recipes
- Chickpea Greek Salad
- Mediterranean Orzo Pasta Salad
- Lemon Kale Salad
- Persian Shirazi Salad with Cucumber and Tomatoes
- Shrimp Taco Salad
- Chinese Garlic Cucumber Salad
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.