So you may have guessed that I recently bought a lot of asparagus and have been coming up with different ways to make it: creamless cream of asparagus soup, quick and easy sautéed asparagus... you get the gist. But my large bag of asparagus from Costco has dwindled down to its last, bunch-size batch. I looked in my fridge for some inspiration and noticed the near-expiration shrimp that I needed to make. So, this light and vibrant, roasted lemon garlic shrimp and asparagus was created.
My moto this spring is to stop eating like it's still winter! It is time to lighten up my diet and bring on the spring dishes! And this dish is perfect for the spring and upcoming summer season because it's pretty much on the top of the list for lightening up a diet. It is low-carb, low-fat, dairy-free, gluten-free, paleo and basically every other healthy word comes to mind.
This delicate and green dish incorporates lots of delicious spring flavours, which seem to pair incredibly with seafood. The lemon creates its light and fresh characteristic and lays the foundation for the exquisite seasonal flavours in this dish. These flavours just bring the shrimp to life.
And not to mention, cooking with this combination of vegetables and seafood is ideal because it means that your food will be ready for your dinner table in no time. It takes about 10-15 minutes prep (aka. marinating the shrimp) and 20 minutes of roasting for this dish to be ready for consumption. So, kiss your weeknight dinner sorrows good-bye because you can make something tasty from scratch pretty much any day of the week! What this means is that you can spend more time enjoying the sunshine outside before having to revert back to your kitchen to prepare dinner. Score!
- This dish is a great light meal on it's own but if you want a heavier, fuller meal, serve this on top of a bowl of pasta or rice.
- You can add scallops to this dish or try it with salmon. Although, you may need to adjust your cooking time. For salmon, add the salmon with your roast veggies and cook them together for the full 20 minutes.
Light, fresh and vibrant, roasted lemon garlic shrimp and asparagus is the perfect dish for the spring and upcoming summer season.
- 1 lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined (about 30 shrimp)
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 teaspoon ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
Roasted asparagus and tomatoes
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 8 grape tomatoes, halved
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- zest from ½ lemon
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 and ½ tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Place shrimp in a medium bowl. Add garlic, ginger and lemon juice (1 tablespoon). Toss to combine and set shrimp aside to marinate for 15 minutes.
- Place the asparagus and tomatoes in a lined cooking tray.
- In a medium bowl, combine the lemon juice (3 tablespoons), zest, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Pour this mixture over the asparagus and tomatoes and toss to combine.
- Roast the vegetables for 10 minutes. Add the shrimp and continue to roast for another 10 minutes.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Entree