It’s May 1st and that means one thing people: Helloooo Cinco de Mayo week! That has got me in a Mexican fiesta mood, especially in the kitchen. So what better way to kick off this week than with a chipotle chicken burrito bowl with cilantro rice? It’s healthy, homemade, low in fat and low in sugar. There really is no better way to kick off the week.
Baked, tender, chipotle-flavoured chicken breasts sliced over a bowl of lime cilantro rice, corn, black beans and sauteed onions and bell peppers. To top it off, a nice scoop of my easy basic guacamole. I am officially in Mexican heaven.
How to Create the Perfect Burrito Bowl
There are 3 key parts to the perfect burrito bowl: chicken, rice and other toppings. The secret is to coordinate the prep and cooking of each of these parts so that they all come together at the same time in the end.
When you first look at this recipe, you may be overwhelmed with the number of steps that are required. But don’t be alarmed, if coordinated correctly, all this can be ready in approximately 30 minutes. (Note: this does not take into account the 2 hour marinating time that is required for the chicken)
The first step is to prepare the marinade and marinate the chicken. This has to be done in advance because you will need to allow the chicken to marinate for about 2 hours. Fast forward 2 hours and we are ready to start cooking. We will give ourselves 30 minutes on the clock.
T-30 minutes. Preheat the oven for the chicken. The oven will take about 10 minutes to preheat. At this time, wash your rice and start cooking it. The easy cilantro lime rice is prepared in the same way that you would prepare any other long grain rice (see Basmati rice). The only difference is the addition of lime juice during the cooking process and the mixing in of fresh cilantro at the end.
T-20 minutes. While the rice is cooking, the oven will be ready for your chicken. Place it in. To bake the chicken, I use my newly discovered “bake on high heat for a shorter amount of time” technique. To read all about the technique, check out the juiciest, baked chicken breast with Greek souvlaki marinade recipe. The chicken will take 20 minutes to bake. The rice, at this point, will also continue cooking for the next 20 minutes.
T-19 minutes. The third step is to prepare your toppings. This step is done during the 20 minutes that your chicken is baking and the rice is cooking. Heat the corn and black beans in 2 separate small pots. Set aside. Saute the onions and bell peppers. Set aside.
T-1 minute. At this time, all your ingredients should be ready. Quickly stir in the cilantro into the rice.
Now, you are ready to put together your burrito bowls! I told you it could be done in 30 minutes. Remember that this recipe yields two bowls, so ensure that you divide all your items between the two bowls. Place an equal portion of rice on the bottom of each bowl. Decorate the border with the corn, black beans and sautéed onions and bell peppers. Slice the chicken and place it in the centre. Top off with a scoop of easy basic guacamole.
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp. honey
- ¼ tsp. ground cumin
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 2 chicken breasts, skinless and boneless
- 1 and ½ cups long grain rice
- 2 and ½ cups water
- 2 tbsp. lime juice
- ½ tbsp. vegetable oil
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- ½ tbsp. vegetable oil
- ½ medium onion, sliced
- 1-2 bell peppers (any colour), sliced
- ½ cup frozen corn
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup canned black beans
- ½ cup easy basic guacamole
- In a food processor or blender, puree together the olive oil, garlic, honey, cumin, chipotle chiles and salt until smooth. Place chicken breasts in a ziplock bag and pour the marinade inside. Seal the bag and let marinate for 2 hours in the refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 450 F. Bake chicken for 20-25 minutes until chicken is no longer pink inside and internal temperature is 165 F.
- In a medium sized pot, wash the rice thoroughly. Add water, lime juice, vegetable oil and salt. Give it a good stir. Heat uncovered on high until the water boils and evaporates.
- Once the rice has absorbed the water, turn the heat down to low and cover the pot with a lid. Cook for 20 minutes until rice is soft.
- Mix in the cilantro and serve.
- Sauteed Onions and Bell Peppers: Heat the vegetable oil in a large frying pan. Sauté the onions and bell peppers for 3-4 minutes until slightly tender. Remove from heat.
- Corn: In a small pot, add the frozen corn and water. Heat over medium high for 5 minutes. Once cooked, drain in a colander.
- Black beans: Drain and wash the canned black beans. Heat over medium high for 5 minutes until warm.
- Easy basic guacamole