Cinco de Mayo has come and gone but can we still celebrate? I mean it is still Cinco de Mayo month, right? Well, we think so! Mexican food is one of my favourites so any excuse to make and eat this stuff is a big win for me. On a side note, we kind of had a huge hard drive scare here in China, but luckily after a few weeks and a lot of trouble, we were miraculously able to recover our files! These grilled chicken and avocado burritos were on that hard drive and were supposed to be shared for Cinco de Mayo, but it's kind of a dish that you can have all season long because chicken and avocado in a burrito is life.
Anything that is a variation of meat, cheese, and guacamole is pretty much on my “to die for” food list. I could literally eat burritos and tacos every day… Why? Well, why not! These burritos are unbelievably easy to make and always, always hit the spot. The recipe calls for grilled chicken, but you could even use rotisserie chicken. It literally can’t get any easier.
And, you don’t even have to be careful with the measurements… like avocados? Add more. Cilantro fan? Dump it in. Alter the quantities however best suites you! You can even substitute almost every ingredient in this recipe for something else. Out of chicken? Not a problem, use turkey. No cilantro? Try parsley. You do not have lemons? Maybe you have limes?
Honestly, there is not a lot you can be picky about. The only thing that you should be picky about is using ripe avocados. Ripe avocados are the key to this recipe – they will provide all the needed flavour and texture. Lemon is important as well as it brightens the flavour of the entire dish and prevents the avocado from turning brown (but then again you can always sub it with lime and the effect will be just the same).
Grilled chicken and avocado burritos are the kind of creamy, gooey goodness with a bit of a crunch that you will want to make over and over again. It’s my absolute favourite, I go for it whenever I crave something quick and satisfying. So serve this up at your Cinco de Mayo party or at your next get-together, and even the pickiest of eaters will ask for more!
For something quick and satisfying, grilled chicken and avocado burritos are the kind of creamy, gooey goodness with a bit of a crunch that you will want to make over and over again. So serve this up at your Cinco de Mayo party or at your next get-together, and even the pickiest of eaters will ask for more!
- 3 ripe avocados, peeled and sliced
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb. grilled chicken breasts, sliced
- 1 cup grated cheese (any kind you like)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped + some more for decoration
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 6 (10-inch) flour tortillas
- 6 tablespoons sour cream or Greek yogurt
- Place avocados in a large bowl. Pour lemon juice all over it to prevent it from discolouring. Season with salt and pepper. Add grilled chicken, grated cheese, cilantro and chilli powder. Toss to combine.
- Heat tortillas according to package instructions. Working one at a time, spread 1 tablespoon sour cream on each tortilla. Place 1/6 of the stuffing in the center of each tortilla. Bring the bottom edge of the tortilla tightly over the filling, folding in the sides. Continue rolling until the top of the tortilla is reached. Repeat until all the ingredients are used.
- Heat a grill pan. Grill the burritos over medium heat around 3 minutes on each side, until the cheese is melted. Remove from a heat.
- Place your burritos on serving plates, sprinkle with the remaining cilantro. Serve hot with extra lemon or lime wedges, Greek yogurt or your favourite sauce.
- Category: Sandwich
- Cuisine: Mexican