These easy almond biscotti are twice baked to crisp perfection. They are crunchy, light and they are the perfect companion to your favourite cup of tea, coffee, milk or hot chocolate. The only downside is that they are super addictive… so you won’t have any leftovers!
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup almond oil (or 1/4 cup olive oil and 2 teaspoons almond extract)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 3/4 cup whole almonds, toasted and roughly chopped
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup almond flour (or ground almonds)
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the eggs and brown sugar together until light and fluffy. Mix in oil, vanilla, and lemon zest. Set aside.
- Sift flour and baking powder into a large bowl. Add almond flour and mix together. Gradually stir in the egg mixture. Add chopped almonds and Bring all the ingredients together with your hands or a wooden spoon until it forms a smooth dough.
- Transfer the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead for a few minutes, dusting with flour as needed.
- Divide the dough in half. Roll each half into a 10-inch long log and transfer to a baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes rotating halfway through.
- Remove logs from oven and transfer to a wire rack. Allow logs to cool long enough to handle, about 10 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 340ºF.
- Using a knife, cut the logs into 1/2-inch slices, crosswise. Place the biscotti (standing up) back on the lined baking tray and bake for another 15-20 minutes until crisp and golden.
- Allow biscotti to cool to room temperature before serving.
- These easy almond biscotti can be kept in airtight container at room temperature for up to a week or freezer for up to a month.
- For extra rock-hard cookies, at steps 6 and 7, increase the oven temperature to 360 ºF and bake for another 20-25 minutes.