It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year! It's the hap -happiest season of all! One of my favourite things about the holidays are the delicious festive treats. Every holiday party needs a showstopper and boy do I have one for you!! It's called candy cane layered cake!!
This gorgeous festive cake incorporates the minty taste of candy canes that give a nice cooling feeling in your mouth with every bite. The cake is bursting with flavour from the inside to the candy cane decoration on the outside. I seriously can't get enough! I mean, who doesn't like the minty taste of candy canes?
How to Make Candy Cane Layered Cake
- Vanilla cake - we bake two 20-inch round vanilla cakes and cut them in half horizontally to get our four layers.
- Mint buttercream frosting - we use the mint buttercream frosting in between the cake layers.
- Cream cheese frosting - we use thicker cream cheese frosting to frost the outside of the cake.
- Candy canes - obviously this is the most important part! We use crushed and whole candy canes to decorate the outside of the cake.
How about a little history lesson? I just learned some fun facts about candy canes and how they came to be.
- They originated in Germany over 300 years ago.
- They were originally white sugar sticks.
- They were used to keep children quite during the Christmas eve church service.
- They were shaped like a shepherds crook.
- Around 100 years ago, the red stripes and peppermint flavour was added.