It's my first year wedding anniversary! So in keeping with the theme, I am sharing a bit of a throwback recipe from my bridal shower last year. I was so lucky to have my talented sister organize the entire party, make me a delicious and stunning 3-layer, naked vanilla bean cake with Nutella buttercream frosting and photograph the entire event! Triple threat much? Check out her awesome photography work here: Leili Heidema Photography. The cake was such a big hit at the party that I just had to share her recipe and photos with all of you. Besides, anniversaries are all about reminiscing 🙂
So, let's rewind. Naked vanilla bean cake with Nutella buttercream frosting. Yes, you read that right. Nutella frosting. This icing is to die for. It's the type of icing that you eat with a spoon and kind of finish half of before you even start spreading it onto your cake. It's pretty much the best icing/frosting I have ever tasted. Maybe I am biased because we all know that I am a Nutella fanatic, but even one of my friends who doesn't like cake (I know, weird) tried this and had seconds.
So in other words, the frosting was the feature and best part of the cake. And guess what? It's versatile! Although on this occasion is was spread thinly to make a naked cake, it can be piped to your hearts content! This frosting is creamy and fluffy and can be spread on pretty much any cake or cupcake imaginable, because we all know that Nutella goes with everything! Try it on my homemade vanilla cupcakes and you will see what I mean 🙂
That party is one I will never forget. My sister did an amazing job organizing it. It looked like it came straight out of Pinterest! I was definitely blown away. The high tea themed bridal shower featured an impeccable arrangement of mini sandwiches and tiny treats. 36" balloons with ivory and peach ruffles framed the dessert table. My mom's collection of antique teacups and saucers could be found in every guests' hands. It was perfect!
Decorate any cake or cupcake with this creamy Nutella buttercream frosting and turn your dessert into an exquisite and decadent masterpiece.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 3/4 cup Nutella
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 and 1/2 cups Confectioners’ sugar
- Cream the butter and cream cheese together in a large bowl using an electronic hand mixer or a stand mixer. Beat on medium for 2-3 minutes until smooth and creamy.
- Add in the Nutella and vanilla extract and continue to beat.
- Gradually add in the Confectioners’ sugar and continue to beat until light and fluffy. If the frosting is too thick, add some milk or cream. If it is too think, add some more Confectioners’ sugar.
- Category: Dessert