30 minutes for a chicken dinner? I’m not talking about just any chicken dinner. I’m talking about a creamy, delicious, and savoury chicken dinner. In other words, the perfect skillet chicken with lemon garlic sauce. Now that’s what I call a happy new year!!
They say how you spend your New Years depicts the rest of the year. Perfect dishes all year long? Bring it on! What makes this chicken turn out perfect every time? It’s all in the cast-iron skillet and the technique. You first pan-fry the chicken, then make the sauce, combine the two, and place the skillet into the oven. This technique yields irresistible, juicy and perfect skillet chicken… every. single. time.
And what would make the perfect skillet chicken even better? It’s called to-die-for, lemon garlic sauce. This sauce is goes with everything. I pour it over vegetables and other side dishes. Just think, rice soaked in lemon garlic sauce… umm YUM. I usually double the sauce so that I have extra for that very reason!
With flavour like that, you would think this dish would be so complicated and time-consuming. But guess what? It is not. In fact, this is the perfect weeknight meal. Yes, you read that right, it was not a typo. WEEKNIGHT MEAL! Bet you didn’t think exquisiteness could be part of your weeknight menu!
The only downside: there will be no leftovers for you to take to work the next day!
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced horizontally (about 1.3 lbs.)
- ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 shallot, finely diced (about ½ cup)
- 2 and ½ cups chicken broth
- ¾ cup light cream or half and half
- 4 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper powder
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice (juice from ½ lemon)
- 3 tablespoons Italian parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat.
- Add chicken to skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden.
- Remove chicken and set aside on a plate.
- Add the shallots to the skillet. Fry for a couple minutes until they are soft and translucent. Stir in the chicken broth, cream, butter, garlic and red pepper powder. (Note: if you do not like spicy, add just a pinch of red pepper powder). Scrape the brown bits off the bottom of the pan.
- Bring sauce to a simmer. Simmer for 10-12 minutes until sauce thickens.
- Remove skillet from the stovetop. Stir in the lemon juice and Italian parsley.
- Add in the chicken and toss to coat with sauce.
- Transfer skillet to the oven and cook for 6-8 minutes until chicken is done.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes and serve!