Creamy corn casserole is a comforting side dish that is creamy, savory, slightly sweet, and filling — a classic and traditional Thanksgiving holiday side.
For the corn muffin mix:
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the wet ingredients:
- 1 (15 oz.) can whole corn kernels, drained
- 1 (15 oz.) can creamed corn (or 2 cups thawed frozen corn)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil (or melted butter)
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a large mixing bowl, make the corn muffin mix by combining flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Whisk together until evenly distributed and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk well to combine the wet ingredients including canned corn kernels, creamed corn, eggs, heavy cream, sour cream, and oil.
- Pour the wet mixture into the corn muffin mix and mix well using a rubber spatula until smooth and no dry ingredients are visible.
- Pour the batter into a 9x13-inch casserole dish and bake for 55-60 minutes until golden brown and fully set. A toothpick inserted into the center should come out clean. Optionally, sprinkle the corn casserole with cheddar cheese and bake for another 10-15 minutes until the melted cheese is bubbly.
- Let cool for 10 minutes and serve warm or at room temperature.
How to serve: Serve this creamy corn casserole as a side dish with chicken, turkey, or pork. Add nutritious sides like roasted potatoes, broccoli, carrots, brussels sprouts, or green beans for a complete meal. It also pairs well with stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, and biscuits.
How to store: Allow the corn casserole to cool to room temperature (to prevent any condensation from making it soggy), then store covered with plastic cling wrap in the refrigerator for 3-4 days (or transfer to an airtight container).
How to reheat: Corn casserole reheats really well. Reheat in a 300 F preheated oven for about 10 minutes until warmed through.
Make it your own: Consider customizing your creamy corn casserole with your favorite green vegetable or cheese! I recommend green onions. And while cheddar cheese is a favorite, pepper jack and Monterey jack are also winners!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: creamy corn casserole, how to make corn casserole, corn casserole, corn side dish