Need proof that quick and simple vegetarian dishes can pack a punch while also filling you up? Well, all you need to do is whip up a quick caramelized onion and herbed goat cheese flatbread!
This flatbread is the perfect little appetizer at a cocktail party or an easy side dish to accompany your main. Crispy flatbread, warm, melty goat cheese with garlic and herbs, and mounds of sweet onion. You seriously cannot go wrong!
So the main topping in this flatbread, if you haven't guessed already, is caramelized onions. Have you ever made them before? They cook slowly, so plan accordingly, but the payoff is major (and if you have any leftovers, you can throw them in literally any savory dish to completely elevate the flavors!).
We also top it all of with some microgreens. But if you can't find any, just use fresh arugula on top. It's add color and a nice peppery contrast to the sweet onions.
Crispy flatbread, warm, melty goat cheese with garlic and herbs, and mounds of sweet onion. You seriously cannot go wrong with caramelized onion and herbed goat cheese flatbread.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon white wine or red vinegar
- 4 store-bought flatbreads or naan bread
- 4 oz. goat cheese, softened, room temperature
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons thyme leaves, finely chopped
- 2 - 4 oz. microgreens (or fresh arugula)
- Caramelize the onions: In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 30 minutes, making sure to lower heat if they begin to cook too quickly. When onions are a deep caramelized brown, add salt and pepper, then stir to combine. Remove from heat, add vinegar, then let cool.
- Prepare the flatbreads: Place flatbreads or naan in a toaster oven (conventional oven is also fine) and cook until slightly crispy. Remove and let cool.
- Prepare the herbed goat cheese: Combine goat cheese, garlic, and thyme in a small bowl and stir with a spatula until well mixed.
- Assemble: To serve, spread a thin layer of goat cheese on each flatbread or naan. Add a generous portion of caramelized onions, then top each with fresh microgreens. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes