5 words. Slow cooker Moroccan lamb stew. Juicy pieces of lamb slow-cooked to tender, melt-in-your-mouth perfection, combined with a handful of spices, potatoes and chickpeas.
Just take a minute to take that all in.
This lamb stew is a winter favourite but sometimes a recipe calls out to you when you least expect it.
I get my inspiration for recipe posts from a variety of things: cravings, restaurant menu items, ingredients lurking in my pantry or fridge, requests from my hubby, or simply what is on sale at the grocery store. Today's post is inspired by all of the above. I know that stews are a thing for the winter months, but sometimes you can't control those cravings calling your name. So when you're craving a stew and pre-chopped lamb is on sale at the grocery store, you become a believer in signs and you just can't say no.
A bowl of flavourful and tender, juicy slow cooker Moroccan lamb stew served over a bowl of couscous is the ultimate Middle Eastern comfort food.
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon dried mint
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 and 1/2 lbs. lamb shoulder chops, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 and 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 3 cups tomato sauce (or 680 ml can)
- 1/2 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups baby potatoes, halved
- 1 cup spinach, chopped (optional)
- fresh mint (for garnish)
- 3 cups cooked couscous
- In a medium bowl, mix together cumin, coriander, red pepper powder, turmeric, mint, salt and pepper. Add lamb and toss to coat.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add lamb and cook for about 6 minutes until browned on all sides. Transfer lamb to slow cooker.
- In the same skillet, heat remaining 1 tablespoon of oil over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, ginger, and cinnamon. Cook for 5-6 minutes until onion is soft and translucent.
- Add chicken stock and tomato sauce. Once the mixture boils, remove from heat and add to slow cooker.
- Add tomatoes, chickpeas and potatoes to slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
- Just before you are ready to serve, add the spinach and stir it in for about 1 minute until wilted.
- Serve with a side of couscous and yogurt and top with fresh mint.
- Category: Stew
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Moroccan