JOIN OUR TEAM!
Ahead of Thyme is hiring a
We are looking for a motivated, digital-savvy Communications Manager to join our growing team!
You will be the online voice of our brand and manage the day-to-day communications with readers and brands including: answering reader comments and questions across all of our platforms (website, social media, email), coordinating partnership details with brands, serving and nurturing our online community, and overseeing audience surveys.
Full job description and details below.
WHO WE ARE
Ahead of Thyme is a food blog that helps busy people eat real food that tastes good — with quick and easy recipes using quality ingredients. We create premium food content that serves our readers and aligns with our vision and values: delicious food, authenticity, and community.
We looking for the right fit to join our current team of two.
Official Job Title: Communications Manager
Start Date: February 2021
Hours: 10-15 hours/week to start with the potential to grow into a full-time position later in the year. We’ll start with a small, short-term contract to make sure we’re a good fit first.
Schedule: Flexible! Although we do ask that you spend at least 30 minutes on Instagram in the morning to engage with our audience when our content goes live at 9:00 am PST, and that you make time for occasional team check-ins during regular business hours. But as long as work is done in a timely manner we’re flexible about when you work. We just ask you to set a relatively consistent schedule so we know when you're working.
Location: We'll give preference to applicants located in Vancouver or anywhere in British Columbia, Canada (where we are currently based) but this is a 100% remote position. For the right candidate, we may consider other locations as long as you're based in Canada.
Equipment: The Communications Manager will be expected to provide their own equipment, including a computer and reliable internet access.
Compensation: This is an hourly paid position. Our pay band for this position is between $18-25/hour. Starting pay will depend on qualifications and experience.
nice to meet you!
WHO YOU ARE
You’re an EXCELLENT communicator who’s passionate about customer service and great food.
You’re exceptionally organized, hard-working and highly motivated.
You have excellent time management skills, and you don’t need a manager or boss to hold your hand to make sure things get done on time. You’re great with deadlines.
You know your way around a kitchen. You’ve worked in food service in some capacity - whether in catering, in a professional kitchen, or as a recipe developer - and you love to cook and troubleshoot when things go wrong in the kitchen.
You have great problem-solving skills, but you know when to ask for help.
You’re familiar with food blogging, whether as a reader or a blogger yourself.
You’re familiar with Ahead of Thyme and our brand.
IF THIS SOUNDS LIKE YOU, WE WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
Roles & Responsibilities
1. Be the voice of our brand and the first point of contact for our readers.
- Respond to reader comments on the blog, and answer comments from rude or frustrated readers with grace, kindness, and empathy.
- Help readers troubleshoot if they run into problems with a recipe.
- Answer the majority of comments and questions correctly on your own, but develop criteria for when and how something should be relayed up to Sam.
2. Engage with our online community.
- Respond to Instagram comments daily and engage with other users.
- Develop and implement a strategy for our Facebook community in order to better serve and support our readers.
3. Analyze relevant community metrics.
- Identify and analyze important data and summarize key insights for the rest of the team.
- Monitor and report on reader satisfaction and common problems and drive resolutions on any reader issues (like a recipe that isn’t working and needs retesting, common questions we should address, etc.).
4. Manage communications with brands.
- Manage communications with brands and coordinate partnership details.
what you'll need
REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Previous customer service or community management experience, particularly via email and social media.
- Excellent communication skills, particularly in writing.
- Previous culinary experience or knowledge of common cooking and baking techniques and food safety.
- Previous remote work or work-from-home experience.
- Strong, reliable internet connection and your own computer.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Proficiency with some or all of the following: Slack, Asana, Google Suite (Google Drive, Google Sheets, Google Docs), Airtable, WordPress, Mailchimp, and Social Media (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest).
- Hands on experience with social media management for brands.
- A proven track record for developing strong online communities.
- Blogging experience, especially with the WordPress platform.
- A degree in communication, English, journalism, marketing or related field.
Please send a copy of your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Shortlisted applicants will be notified of their application status no later than February 1, 2021. Thank you for applying!