Better than takeout, Thai basil chicken with a delicious homemade sauce is a quick and easy, light and fresh chicken stir fry that is ready in 25 minutes.
For the sauce:
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (or oyster sauce)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1-2 tablespoons water
For the chicken stir fry:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb. chicken thighs or breasts, boneless and skinless, cut into 1-inch strips
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 small Thai chili, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 cup Thai basil leaves
- 2 green onions, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 lime, wedged
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together all the sauce ingredients until smooth. If using oyster sauce instead of soy sauce, you can omit the sugar. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large wok or skillet over medium-high heat for 2 minutes until the hot oil sizzles. Add chicken and stir fry for 4-5 minutes until browned on all sides.
- Stir in onion, garlic, and Thai chili (optional) and cook until tender and fragrant, about 1 minute. Season the chicken mixture with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the sauce and toss well to coat. Keep stirring until the sauce thickens to a desired consistency, about 2 minutes.
- Add bell pepper and basil. Cover the lid and cook for 1-2 minutes until the basil is wilted and the bell pepper is tender.
- Serve immediately with steamed rice and a drizzle with lime juice if desired.
airtight container. The sooner you eat it, though, the better it will taste.Thai basil chicken taste best fresh, but if you can’t eat it all, it will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3-5 days in an
How to serve: Thai basil chicken always hits the spot served with a bowl of steamed rice. You can also pair it with Vegetarian Fried Rice, Roasted Garlic Green Beans, Honey Roasted Carrots, or Air Fryer Broccoli.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Stir Fry
- Cuisine: Thai
Keywords: thai basil chicken, thai chicken with basil, thai chicken stir fry, chicken stir fry with basil, thai basil chicken recipe