When it comes to vegetarian tacos, these vegan chickpea tacos are some of the best. They are delicious, filling, easy to make, and loved by all.
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 2 (15 oz.) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano (or Italian seasoning)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper (or to taste)
Make the chickpea filling:
- Heat oil in a large skillet for 2 minutes over medium-high heat until the hot oil sizzles. Add chickpeas and stir well to cook evenly until golden, about 5 minutes.
- Add all seasoning including cumin, chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, oregano, soy sauce, salt and pepper. Stir and sauté until evenly coated, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
Assemble the tacos:
- Heat the soft flour tortillas according to the package instructions, or heat in an ungreased skillet over medium-high heat for 30 seconds per side. You can also heat it directly on a gas burner for a few seconds to get char marks on the edges
- Add 2-3 tablespoons chickpeas on each tortilla and top with corn, guacamole and cilantro. Add a dollop of sour cream or lime crema, and squeeze of lime juice, if desired.
How to store: Although you can store these tacos after you’ve assembled them, you might be looking at a soggy tortilla. You’ll get the best results by keeping everything refrigerated in separate containers. Eat within four days.
Make it gluten-free: You can make these vegan chickpea tacos safe for anyone with gluten sensitivity. Just choose corn tortillas instead of flour and use a gluten-free soy sauce.
Other toppings: onion, diced tomatoes or pico de gallo, salsa, jalapeños, cheddar cheese, and shredded lettuce or cabbage.
- Category: Tacos
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: vegan chickpea tacos, vegetarian chickpea tacos, how to make vegan tacos, easy vegan tacos, chickpea tacos, tacos with chickpeas