Hearty slow cooker beef chili is an easy, comforting, low-maintenance dinner in fall and winter months. It's a family favourite crockpot chili.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon cayenne red pepper (optional)
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup tortilla chips (or tortilla strips)
- Heat oil in a skillet for 2 minutes over medium high heat until the hot oil sizzles. Add ground beef and stir well to cook evenly until browned, about 5-7 minutes. Break up the beef into small pieces to help with even cooking and browning.
- Add onion, garlic, jalapeño, and red bell pepper. Sauté until fragrant and tender, about 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in seasoning including paprika, cumin, salt, and cayenne pepper, until well combined.
- Transfer beef mixture into a 6-quart slow cooker (crockpot) and stir in kidney beans, black beans, diced tomatoes, and water.
- Cover the lid and set to cook for 4 hours on the high temperature setting (or for 6-8 hours on low). When the time is up, the slow cooker should automatically switch to the "warm" setting.
- Serve with your favourite toppings such as a spoonful of sour cream, cheddar and corn chips (like tortilla strips). Some other toppings you can add are green onions, avocado, cilantro and hot sauce.
Stovetop instructions: To make this beef chili on the stovetop, follow the instructions as is, but instead of transferring to the slow cooker, transfer the beef mixture into a large stockpot. Then, add in the diced tomatoes and water and simmer the chili on low heat for 3 hours. Stir in the beans and simmer for another 10 minutes before serving.
How to serve: Serve slow cooker beef chili loaded with toppings (my favourite are tortilla chips and cheddar cheese) with a side of biscuits or cornbread. You can also serve it over a bowl of rice or on top of baked potatoes.
How to store: Store chili in an airtight container for up to 4 days in the refrigerator.
How to freeze: Chili is one dish that freezes exceptionally well. Once cooled, transfer to an airtight container or freeze in batches in smaller airtight containers or freezer bags. Store in the freezer for up to 3 months. When ready to eat, allow the chili to thaw overnight in the refrigerator or on the kitchen counter for a few hours.
How to reheat: To reheat, heat on the stove over medium-low heat until warmed through, about 10 minutes.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 hours 10 minutes
- Category: Stew
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: slow cooker beef chili, beef chili, slow cooker chili, how to make chili in the slow cooker, slow cooker recipe, ground beef recipe