Classic macaroni salad is a creamy and delicious pasta salad that is easy to throw together. It's the perfect side to bring to a summer potluck or BBQ.
- 2 cups elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 1/2 medium red onion, sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1 rib celery, diced
- 1 pickle, diced
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook until al dente, about 8 minutes or according to package instructions. Drain and rinse pasta under cold water to stop the cooking process and to cool the pasta down.
- In a large mixing bowl or serving, combine cooked pasta, red onion, bell pepper, carrot, celery, and pickle.
- In a small mixing bowl, stir together mayonnaise, sour cream, vinegar, sugar, mustard, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Add dressing to salad and toss to combine.
- Serve immediately, or cover the bowl tightly with plastic cling wrap and refrigerator for at least 2 hours (or overnight for the best results). This will allow the flavors to really infuse into each other.
meal prep containers that you can grab on your way out of the house.Macaroni salad is great for meal prep. To prepare an easy meal on the go, pre-portion the macaroni salad into smaller
How to store: Store macaroni salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
How to freeze: Store macaroni salad in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months. Allow it to thaw overnight in the refrigerator before serving.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Salad
- Method: Tossed
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: macaroni salad, classic macaroni salad, how to make macaroni salad, macaroni pasta salad, easy macaroni salad