Soft garlic breadsticks are fluffy, airy, buttery, and delicious. They're an easy recipe that is perfect for beginners at baking bread.
- 240 grams water (1 cup), lukewarm
- 6 grams active dry yeast or instant yeast (2 teaspoons)
- 4 grams sugar or honey (1 teaspoon)
- 375 grams all-purpose flour (3 cups)
- 6 grams salt (1 teaspoon)
- 40 grams olive oil (3 tablespoons)
For the topping:
- 2-3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt flakes
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
Prepare the dough (first rise):
- In a small mixing bowl, add yeast and sugar in water and stir well until dissolved. Sugar and water activates yeast in a few minutes and the mixture should start to bubble and develop a yeasty aroma.
- In a large mixing bowl, add flour and salt. Pour in the wet yeast mixture and olive oil and mix with a silicone spatula until fully combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl (there should be no dry flour particles visible).
- Knead the dough on a clean surface for 5-10 minutes until it turns into a smooth dough ball. You can also mix the dough in a stand mixer on medium speed for about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the dough ball back into the bowl and cover with plastic cling wrap. Let it rise at room temperature for 1 hour until doubled in size.
Shape the dough:
- Flatten the dough into an approximately 9x12-inch rectangle. Use a bench scraper or pizza cutter to divide it into 12 equal pieces.
- Gently roll each piece into a 9-inch rope and arrange on a parchment-lined half sheet baking pan, evenly spaced 1-inch apart.
- Cover the baking sheet loosely with plastic cling wrap and let the dough rise until almost doubled in size, about 45 minutes depending on the room temperature.
Bake the breadsticks:
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- In a small mixing bowl, stir together melted butter, garlic powder, salt flakes, and Italian seasoning, Use a silicone brush to gently brush the mixture evenly over each breadstick.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown. If you like your breadsticks extra crispy, bake for another 5-10 minutes.
- Let the breadsticks cool for 10 minutes before serving. Serve on its own, with marinara sauce for dipping, or with a bowl of soup.
How to store: Leftover garlic breadsticks are best kept at room temperature for up to a day. If stored for longer, put them in the refrigerator. Either way, make sure they’re well-wrapped in an airtight container, bag, or plastic cling wrap wrap to prevent staleness.
How to reheat: You can serve Italian breadsticks warm or at room temperature. I like leftover breadsticks much better when reheated. Wrap them in aluminum foil and heat in a preheated 350F oven for 10-15 minutes.
Freezing breadsticks: After they cool, wrap each breadstick individually in plastic cling wrap and store in the freezer. They will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months, but they won’t be as tender after thawing. You can reheat them to get a better texture.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Rise Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Bread
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: garlic breadsticks, homemade breadsticks, best garlic breadsticks, how to make italian breadsticks, italian breadsticks