Over 50 easy pantry staple recipes that are delicious and nutritious including everything from beans and rice, soups and stews, pasta and noodles, and more! One of my favorite pantry staple meals is this Easy One Pot Lentils.
- 1 1/2 cups dry brown lentils
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 cups boiling water, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- fresh cilantro, chopped (optional, for serving)
- Add lentils to a large mixing bowl and sort out any debris, then rinse and drain. Pour in some boiling water on top, enough to cover the lentils, and let it sit for 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot or 4 quart Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, and turmeric. Sauté until the onions are soft and translucent, about 2-3 minutes. Pour in 1 cup of boiling water into the pot and stir together.
- Drain the lentils that have been soaking in water, then rinse and drain again. Stir the lentils into the pot along with the remaining 2 cups boiling water, cumin, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Turn the heat up to high and bring to a boil. Then, turn to low and simmer covered for 15 minutes.
- Season with more salt and pepper to taste. Serve over brown or white rice, coconut rice, or a rice pilaf with a sprinkle of fresh cilantro on top. You can also serve on its own with a naan bread, pita bread, biscuits or dinner rolls for dipping.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Beans
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern