Creamy lemon garlic chicken is a quick and easy dinner idea that brings a restaurant-quality meal home. It's a flavorful and delicious 30-minute recipe.
For the chicken:
- 2 large boneless and skinless chicken breasts, sliced in half horizontally
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
For the sauce:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- Use a paper towel to pat the chicken breasts completely dry. Season both sides with salt and pepper. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Heat oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook for 5-6 minutes on each side until cooked through. Remove chicken and set aside on a plate.
- In the same pan, melt butter and sauté onion and garlic until tender, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in flour and cook until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Add broth and heavy cream. Mix well and bring the sauce to a simmer. Simmer until thickened to a desired consistency, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add paprika, lemon juice, parsley, salt, and pepper. Stir until evenly combined.
- Return the chicken to the skillet. Toss well to coat and cook until warmed through, about 2-3 minutes. Serve immediately.
Tips for making a roux: A roux is a mixture of flour and butter (or oil). It’s used to thicken up sauces such as gravy, and soups, but it can turn lumpy if you’re not careful. To remove any lumps, slowly stir in the liquids after you’ve created a smooth roux.
How to store: Keep leftover creamy lemon garlic chicken in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-5 days.
How to reheat: To reheat, heat the saucy chicken on the stovetop over medium heat in a covered pan, stirring occasionally until warmed through. If the sauce becomes too thick, stir in some extra broth or water (or a combination of the two) to thin it out. For faster reheating, cut the chicken into smaller pieces.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: creamy lemon garlic chicken, lemon garlic chicken, garlic chicken, creamy garlic chicken, creamy lemon chicken