Take fresh-off-the-grill corn on the cob and turn it into a light, flavourful summer corn salad, topped with tomatoes, scallions and cheese. This is the side dish your cookouts have been missing!
- 4 ears of corn
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pint of cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup of ricotta salata, cubed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
- Preheat a grill over medium-high heat. Place each ear of corn on a large piece of aluminum foil. Put 1/2 tablespoon of butter on top of each, then roll and seal in the foil.
- When grill is hot, add wrapped ears of corn and grill about 5 minutes per side, for a total of 15 minutes. Set aside and cool for 10 minutes.
- When corn is cool enough to touch, slice kernels off and place in a large bowl. Add scallions, tomatoes, ricotta salata, and olive oil, then toss to combine. Add salt and pepper, taste, then adjust seasoning as needed.
- Add freshly torn basil leaves right into the bowl, give one final toss, and then serve warm or at room temperature.
If you don’t have basil, try subbing in mint for an equally refreshing and fun flavour!