Take fresh-off-the-grill corn on the cob and turn it into a light, flavourful summer corn salad, topped with cherry tomatoes, fresh basil and cheese. This is the side dish your cookouts have been missing!
- 4 ears of corn
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pint of cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup of ricotta salata cheese, cubed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
- Preheat a grill over medium-high heat. Place each ear of corn on a large piece of aluminum foil. Put 1/2 tablespoon of butter on top of each, then roll and seal in the foil.
- When grill is hot, add wrapped ears of corn and grill about 5 minutes per side, for a total of 15 minutes. Set aside and cool for 10 minutes.
- When corn is cool enough to touch, slice kernels off and place in a large bowl. Add scallions, tomatoes, ricotta salata, and olive oil, then toss to combine. Add salt and pepper, taste, then adjust seasoning as needed.
- Add freshly torn basil leaves right into the bowl, give one final toss, and then serve warm or at room temperature.
- ricotta salata is a salty cheese closer in line with feta than fresh ricotta. I like adding it to this salad because it won’t melt or get mushy if you’re serving this outside during a cookout.
scallions - to add a little bite, you can throw in lots of sliced scallions.
basil - if you don’t have basil, try subbing in fresh mint for an equally refreshing and fun flavour.
- Category: Salad
- Method: Grilled
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: corn salad, summer salad, corn on the cob, grilled corn salad, corn and ricotta salad