Ricotta stuffed shells are an easy, hearty, and classic Italian comfort food that can feed the whole family. Easy to make ahead and freeze for another day.
- 16 jumbo pasta shells
- 3 cups marinara sauce, homemade or store-bought
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
For the cheese filling:
- 1 + 1/2 cups ricotta cheese (14 ounces/400 grams)
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over medium-high heat. Add pasta jumbo shells and cook until al dente (fully cooked but still firm) according to package directions, about 8-10 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent the pasta from sticking to the pot.
- Drain and rinse the jumbo shells under cold water to cool off completely and set aside in the pot.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine all three kinds of cheese, egg, parsley, salt, and pepper. Mix well until smooth.
- Use a cookie scoop to stuff each cooked pasta shell with approximately 1/3 cup of the cheese mixture. In an 8-inch square casserole pan, add and spread marinara sauce evenly. Place the stuffed shells on top and sprinkle with a layer of mozzarella cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and broil until the cheese turns golden brown, about 2-3 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley and serve warm.
How to freeze uncooked stuffed shells: Assemble the shells (until just before baking), then cover tightly with aluminum foil and freeze for up to 3 months. You can bake the shells directly from frozen and add an extra 30 minutes to the cook time.
How to store: Store ricotta stuffed shells in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4-5 days. Allow the stuffed shells to cool completely before storing them to avoid condensation.
How to freeze cooked stuffed shells: You can also freeze cooked stuffed shells. Store them all together in an airtight container or portion them out into individual-sized meal prep containers and freeze for up to 3 months.
How to reheat: You can reheat cooked stuffed shells in a 350 F preheated oven for 10-15 minutes until warmed through. You can also reheat in the microwave on low to medium heat for several minutes.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Pasta
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: stuffed shells, ricotta stuffed shells, stuffed shells with ricotta, jumbo shells with ricotta, stuffed jumbo shells, jumbo shell casserole