Spring pesto pasta with asparagus and chives is comfort food with a much lighter feel! Serve this hot as a dinner entree or cold as a pasta salad.
- 1/2 lb. asparagus, ends trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 lb. pasta (I used farfalle)
- 1/2 cup basil pesto (store-bought or homemade)
- 1/4 cup chives, finely chopped
- zest from 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup mozzarella cheese, cubed
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add asparagus. Cook for 3 minutes, then remove with a slotted spoon and place in a bowl of ice water. Let cool, then drain.
- Bring the same pot of water back up to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 11 minutes, or until al dente, then drain, reserving about 1/4 cup of cooking water.
- In a large bowl, combine pasta, asparagus, and basil pesto. Toss until pasta is evenly coated with pesto. If the sauce is too thick, begin pouring in reserved pasta water (about 2 tablespoons at a time) until sauce reaches desired consistency. Add chives, lemon zest, and mozzarella, and stir just to combine.
- Divide pasta into bowls and top with Parmesan cheese. If eating immediately, serve hot. You can also serve it cold or at room temperature as this also makes a fantastic vegetarian pasta salad!