Gluten-free rice croutons are a delicious, crunchy, and chewy homemade snack with the same texture as the best part of rice — the crispy bottom of the pot!
- 1 cup rice, uncooked
- 2 cups water (or as needed)
- vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Cook the rice with water in a rice cooker or cooking pot as per package directions.
- Remove half of the hot cooked rice and place into a medium mixing bowl. Use an immersion blender to puree it into a smooth and sticky paste. You can also use a food processor to blend it.
- Stir in remaining rice and mix to combine.
- Wrap the rice mixture in plastic cling wrap and smooth it out into an approximate 8-inch square. Freeze for 1 hour or until firm enough to slice.
- Unwrap the rice and cut it with a knife into small 1x1.5-inch rectangles.
- Add oil to a saucepan until it is about 1/2-inch thick. Heat oil over medium heat and fry the rice croutons in 3-4 batches until golden brown and crisp. Remove croutons with a slotted spoon and place on a paper towel lined plate. Let it sit for a minute before tossing in seasoning.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine Parmesan, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder. Toss in croutons while hot (after a minute of removing from the pan). Enjoy with salads, soups, as a side or as a snack on the go.
- Category: Condiment
- Method: Rice Cooker
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: rice croutons, croutons with rice, easy rice croutons, homemade rice croutons, best rice croutons, how to make croutons