When east meets west, savoury pumpkin congee rice porridge with corn is born. It’s thick and creamy — the ultimate fall comfort food.
- 1/2 Japanese pumpkin (Kent pumpkin), seeds removed
- 1 cup regular medium-grain white rice
- 1/2 cup glutinous rice
- 4 cups water, divided
- 1 cup sweet corn, thawed if frozen
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (or miso paste)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Place whole half pumpkin in a steamer to cook for 10 minutes. This will help to soften and peel off the skin. Cut the pumpkin into strips and remove the skin. Transfer pumpkin to a food processor or mash it manually using a fork or spatula.
- In a large pot, add medium-grain white rice, glutinous rice and 3 cups of water. Bring to a boil over high heat. When the water is boiling, turn the heat down to medium-low and continuously stir rice for 5 minutes to avoid it burning at the bottom. After 5 minutes, turn the heat down to low and add 1 more cup of water.
- Stir occasionally until the rice has the thick, creamy texture of porridge (this can take up to half an hour, depending on the rice).
- Add mashed pumpkin, corn, soy sauce (or miso paste), and salt. Stir for 2 minutes to mix everything together.
- Serve warm in a bowl.