Pull apart garlic bread is fluffy, buttery, flavourful, melts in your mouth, and tears easily for optimal sharing. You don't need any other bread at the dinner table.
- 1 cup warm water, divided
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 and 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (can substitute with all-purpose flour)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon salt
Garlic Butter Topping:
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 2 large cloves garlic, finely grated or minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons Italiano seasoning
- In a large bowl, stir together 1/2 cup warm water, yeast, and honey. Let rest 5-10 minutes until foamy.
- Add in flour, butter, and salt, and mix until combined. Gradually add in the remaining 1/2 cup water, stirring between each addition until completely combined, and until the dough comes together into a ball. The dough will be soft but slightly sticky. If it is too sticky, you can add a little more flour.
- Knead for 7-10 minutes (by hand or in a stand mixer) until the dough is smooth and elastic. You can test the dough for readiness by pressing into the dough with your thumb. If it bounces back, then it is ready. Cover the bowl with a dishcloth, and let dough rest at room temperature until doubled in size, about one hour.
- Approximately 15 minutes before the dough is done rising, preheat oven to 375 F, and begin preparing the garlic butter topping.
- In a small sauce pan, melt butter over low heat. Once just melted, add garlic, parsley and Italiano seasoning. Stir to combine and continue to cook over low heat for 2 minutes, to allow the flavours to infuse into the butter. Remove from heat.
- Once the dough is ready, shape it into a long tube, 1-inch in diameter. Then, cut into small 1-inch pieces. Place the pieces into the saucepan with the garlic butter and toss to fully coat.
- Transfer the coated pieces into a 8 x 4 inch loaf pan and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Garnish with additional fresh parsley on top (optional).
- Prep Time: 25 minutes + 1 hour waiting time
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Bread