Garlic cheddar biscuits qualify as breakfast or a dinner side dish. These are packed with flavour and can be prepped for the oven in less than 15 minutes!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup butter, diced and very cold
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup milk, very cold
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Preheat oven to 425 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, garlic powder, salt, sugar and baking powder. Cut in the cold butter using a pastry cutter or fork until butter is the size of small peas. Stir in cheddar cheese.
- Slowly pour in the milk and mix just until combined. Once the batter forms into a soft dough, use your hands to fold in the dry pieces that haven’t been incorporated. Be careful not to overmix. Note that the dough will be slightly sticky.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and pat it into a 3/4-inch thick disk. Flour a biscuit cutter and cut out rounds of dough. Place biscuits onto prepared baking sheets.
- In a small bowl combine melted butter, garlic powder and dried oregano. Brush the tops of the biscuits with half the butter mixture.
- Bake biscuits for 13 to 16 minutes, or until tops are just golden brown.
- Brush the tops of the biscuits with the remaining butter mixture. Let cool and serve.
You can substitute the milk with half-and-half or buttermilk.