Take comfort food to another level with the best creamy spinach and tomato vegetarian lasagna. You won't even miss the meat!
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 onion, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (28-ounce) can of Muir Glen fire-roasted crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper (to taste)
- 9 lasagna noodles
- 2 and 1/4 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- freshly chopped basil (optional, for garnish)
- Parmesan cheese (optional, for garnish)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and sauté for 2 minutes. Add garlic and oregano and continue to sauté for 2-3 minutes until onions are soft and translucent.
- Add crushed tomatoes and sugar. Stir to combine.
- Bring sauce to a boil and turn down heat to low. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in basil. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Set aside.
- While the tomato sauce is simmering, prepare the spinach mixture.
- Squeeze the spinach in your hands to get out excess water.
- Melt the butter in a skillet over medium high heat. Add garlic and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add spinach and continue sauté for 2 minutes until the spinach is wilted, about 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, combine spinach, ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, egg, Italian seasoning, oregano, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Stir until combined. Set aside.
- Cook lasagna noodles according to package instructions.
- In a greased a 9" x 12" casserole dish, spread a very thin layer of the tomato sauce on the bottom.
- Layer 3 lasagna noodles, half the the spinach mixture, 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese and 1 cup of tomato sauce. Repeat with second layer.
- End with remaining 3 lasagna noodles, remaining tomato sauce and 1 and 1/4 cups of mozzarella cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes. Uncover and continue to bake for 15-20 more minutes until cheese is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let stand for 15 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with freshly chopped basil and Parmesan cheese (optional).
- The spinach mixture may be hard to spread on the lasagna noodles. You can drop them them in spoonfuls and then spread around using the back of the spoon.
- If crunched for time, you can use no-boil lasagna noodles which can be layered in dry.
- You can also prepare this ahead of the time and store it in the fridge for up to 2 days before you are ready to bake.
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Italian