Take comfort food to another level with the best creamy spinach and tomato vegetarian lasagna. You won't even miss the meat!
- 1 + 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 onion, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (28-ounce) can of Muir Glen fire-roasted crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 + 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper (to taste)
- 9 lasagna noodles
- 2 + 1/4 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- freshly chopped basil (optional, for garnish)
- Parmesan cheese (optional, for garnish)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and sauté for 2 minutes. Add garlic and oregano and continue to sauté for 2-3 minutes until onions are soft and translucent.
- Add crushed tomatoes and sugar. Stir to combine.
- Bring sauce to a boil and turn down heat to low. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in basil. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Set aside.
- While the tomato sauce is simmering, prepare the spinach mixture.
- Squeeze the spinach in your hands to get out excess water.
- Melt the butter in a skillet over medium high heat. Add garlic and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add spinach and continue sauté for 2 minutes until the spinach is wilted, about 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, combine spinach, ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, egg, Italian seasoning, oregano, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Stir until combined. Set aside.
- Cook lasagna noodles according to package instructions.
- In a greased a 9" x 12" casserole dish, spread a very thin layer of the tomato sauce on the bottom.
- Layer 3 lasagna noodles, half the the spinach mixture, 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese and 1 cup of tomato sauce. Repeat with second layer.
- End with remaining 3 lasagna noodles, remaining tomato sauce and 1 and 1/4 cups of mozzarella cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes. Uncover and continue to bake for 15-20 more minutes until cheese is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let stand for 15 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with freshly chopped basil and Parmesan cheese (optional).
The spinach mixture may be hard to spread on the lasagna noodles. You can drop them them in spoonfuls and then spread around using the back of the spoon.
If crunched for time, you can use no-boil lasagna noodles which can be layered in dry.
You can also prepare this ahead of the time and store it in the fridge for up to 2 days before you are ready to bake.
- Category: Pasta
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: creamy spinach and tomato vegetarian lasagna, spinach lasagna, vegetarian lasanga, how to make lasagna