Quick and easy, creamy lemon chicken piccata is a simple and delicious 30-minute meal made with tender chicken breast in a light lemon sauce with capers.
For the chicken:
- 2 chicken breasts (1 lb. total) boneless and skinless
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
For the sauce:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 cup chicken broth (or 1 tablespoon chicken chicken bouillon powder + 1 cup water)
- 1/2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, finely chopped (for garnish)
- 1 tablespoon lemon wedges, thinly sliced (for garnish)
For serving (optional):
- 6 to 8 oz. dry pasta
- mashed potatoes
- Slice each chicken breast carefully in half lengthwise (horizontally) and place one at a time, between 2 sheets of plastic cling wrap or in a ziploc freezer bag. Carefully flatten the chicken breasts with a rolling pin until they are approximately 1/4-inch thick. Don’t pound the breasts too hard, as it could tear them apart. Ideally, you want flattened chicken breasts with uniform thickness.
- Season both sides of each chicken breast with salt, pepper and Italian seasoning. Then, dip the chicken in a shallow bowl of flour and evenly coat both sides. Set aside on a plate.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high for 2 minutes until the oil is sizzling and shimmering.
- Sear the chicken for about 5 minutes per side until golden brown and fully cooked through. The internal temperature for the chicken should reach 165F. Depending on the size of your skillet, you may have to do this in two batches. Rest the chicken on a plate.
- In the same skillet, melt butter and sauté the garlic until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in chicken broth and flour and mix well until the sauce is smooth and uniform.
- Add in heavy cream, capers, and lemon juice. Turn the heat down to medium low and bring the sauce to a simmer until thickened to a desired consistency, about 2-3 minutes. Stir continuously if the cream curdles because of lemon juice, until smooth.
- Return the chicken to pan and toss well to coat. Let the chicken cook with the sauce for another minute and garnish with lemon wedges and parsley.
- Serve immediately with a side of pasta.
How to store: Store chicken piccata with the sauce in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 4 days. Reheat on the stove over medium-low heat for a few minutes or in the microwave until warmed through.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: creamy lemon chicken piccata, easy chicken piccata with lemon, chicken piccata pasta, creamy lemon chicken piccata with capers