Cranberry walnut bread paired with sautéed apples, onions and rosemary is exactly what your holiday table needs! Hello cranberry walnut apple stuffing!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped into small pieces
- 1 apple, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons rosemary, chopped
- 1 loaf cranberry walnut bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (see note below for substitution with regular bread)
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup chicken stock (homemade recommended)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- olive oil spray or cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add onions, season with salt and pepper, and sauté until translucent, approximately 5-7 minutes. Add apples and continue to cook for 3-5 minutes, or until softened. Stir in garlic and rosemary, cook for 1 minute, then remove from heat.
- Place chopped bread into a large bowl and pour cooked onions on top.
- In a small bowl, combine egg, heavy cream, and chicken stock, salt and pepper. Pour sauce over bread mixture and toss to combine.
- Pour bread mixture into a small baking pan or 2-quart ramekin coated with olive oil spray. Bake for 30 minutes or until the stuffing begins to brown around the edges.
- Serve and garnish with some extra cranberries (optional).
If you’re not using bread with cranberries and walnuts already in it, add 1/2 cup of dried cranberries and 1/4 cup of toasted walnut pieces before baking, then toss to combine.