Indian-inspired, vegan, creamy coconut curry lentil soup is an easy and simple 30-minute pantry meal that is packed with spices for maximum flavour.
- 1 + 1/2 cups dry brown lentils
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons garam masala seasoning
- 1/2 tablespoon yellow curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 medium carrots, cubed into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 russet potato, cubed into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 + 1/2 cups water
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (400 ml) can full-fat coconut milk
- salt and pepper, to taste
- fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)
- Pour lentils into a large bowl. Rinse and drain. Pour boiling water on top to cover the lentils, and let it sit for 10 minutes. Set aside.
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, ginger, and turmeric. Saute until onions are soft and translucent (about 2-3 minutes). Add garam masala, curry powder, and cumin and cook for an additional minute.
- Stir in the lentils, carrot, potato, tomato paste, water, vegetable broth, and coconut milk. Bring to a boil over high heat, then turn to low and simmer covered for 15 minutes.
- Remove one cup of the soup and blend together, and pour back into the pot. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve soup with fresh cilantro on top (optional).
How to store lentil soup: It's easy to double the recipe and save leftovers for another day. Lentil soup can be frozen in an airtight container for up to 3 months. You can also store it in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
How to serve: I like to eat the leftovers as is, or as a curry served over coconut rice or plain rice. I just heat it up and simmer until I get the consistency that I want. If it is too thick, add some water.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: lentil curry soup, lentil soup, lentils, vegan soup, vegan lentil soup, coconut curry