Chicken Madeira with sautéed mushrooms and tender crisp asparagus is topped with melty mozzarella cheese. Cheaper and better than the Cheesecake Factory!
- 1 pound medium asparagus, ends trimmed
- 1/4 cup butter, divided
- 1 pound white mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 large chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- 1/2 cup Madeira wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
Cook the asparagus:
- In a large pot of boiling water, add asparagus and blanch until slightly but still bright green, about 2-3 minutes. Rinse the asparagus under cold running water to stop the cooking process and drain in a colander. Set aside.
Prepare the mushrooms:
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat until it starts to bubble, about 1 minute. Add mushrooms and sauté until the moisture evaporates from them, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and continue cooking for another 2-3 minutes until the mushrooms turns golden brown. (Salt will further extract more water from the mushrooms, giving them a nice brown color).
- Stir in onion, garlic, and parsley and cook until tender, about 2 minutes. Transfer the mushroom mixture to a plate and set aside.
Prepare the chicken:
- Slice each chicken breast in half lengthwise (horizontally) and season with salt and pepper to taste (about 1/4 teaspoon of each).
- Use a paper towel to wipe the same skillet clean. Melt the remaining butter over medium heat until it starts to bubble, about 1 minute.
- Sear the chicken until golden brown and fully cooked through, about 5 minutes per side. The internal temperature for the chicken should reach 165F on a meat thermometer. Remove the chicken from the heat and transfer to the same plate with mushrooms.
Assemble the chicken madeira:
- In the same skillet, add wine and stir well to deglaze the bottom of the pan. Stir in chicken broth and heavy cream. Mix well and bring the sauce to a simmer. Continue to simmer until thickened to a desired consistency, about 2-3 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Return the chicken to the pan and toss to coat in the sauce. Arrange the mushrooms and asparagus around the chicken. Top with shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Transfer the pan into the oven and broil on HI for 3-4 minutes (or bake in a preheated 450F oven for 5-7 minutes) until the melted cheese turns golden brown.
- Serve warm with pasta or rice if desired.
How to store: Keep leftover chicken madeira in the fridge for 3-4 days. Be sure to allow it to cool first before placing it in an airtight container.
How to reheat: You can reheat chicken madeira in the oven or over the stove. To reheat in the oven, I recommend adding a little water to the baking dish and then covering it loosely in aluminum foil. Reheat in a 375F preheated oven for about 10-15 minutes until warmed through and cheese has melted. To reheat on the stove, place the chicken in a covered pan over medium heat for 10-15 minutes. Add 1-3 tablespoons of water to the pan to help steam the chicken.
Tip for reheating faster: No matter how you reheat this chicken madeira, you can speed it up by slicing the chicken before reheating and spreading it out. More surface area will allow the chicken to heat through faster.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: chicken madeira, homemade chicken madeira, chicken with mushrooms and asparagus, skillet chicken