This butternut squash galette (free-form tart) is the perfect meal any time of day! Serve it with a fried egg for breakfast or alongside a big salad for lunch or dinner.
- 1 and 1/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature, cubed + 1 tablespoon, melted
- 1/4 cup ice water
Butternut Squash Filling:
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeds removed, and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper powder
- 1/2 large red onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup Boursin garlic herb cheese (or herbed goat cheese), at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage leaves
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup gorgonzola dolce, for serving
- To make the dough: Combine flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a mixing bowl, then add butter. Use a pastry cutter to incorporate butter into flour until large pea-sized pieces remain. Add ice water and mix with your hands until most of the flour is incorporated and the dough is smooth. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and place in refrigerator to rest and firm up for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Place butternut squash on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil, cinnamon, garlic powder, onion powder, and cayenne, then toss to combine. Roast until tender and browned, about 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add red onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 3-5 minutes. Season with salt, then set aside.
- When ready to bake, lower oven temperature to 350 F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat baking mat. Roll dough out into 1/4-inch thick circle (approximately 12-14 inches in diameter, but the size isn’t very important, just the thickness).
- SpreadBoursin cheese (or goat cheese) in a thin layer on the bottom of the tart dough, making sure to leave a 1-inch border along the edges. Top with cooked butternut squash and red onions, then place sage leaves on top.
- Carefully fold over the edges of the tart dough, overlapping when necessary, to form the crust of the tart. Brush heavy cream along the folded over dough, then sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese and black pepper.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 45-50 minutes, or until the tart dough is golden brown. Let cool about 5-10 minutes before slicing. Serve with crumbled gorgonzola dolce on top.