Quick and easy biang biang spicy noodles is a simple, flavourful and vegan noodle dish made with a few ingredients and in under 10 minutes.
- 1/2 lb. dry hand-pulled wide noodles, homemade or store-bought
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon black vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh scallions (spring onions), finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon dry red chili flakes (or chili powder)
- 1/2 tablespoon white sesame seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Sichuan pepper (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin (optional)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- In a medium cooking pot, bring 4 cups of water to a boil over medium-high heat. Add hand-pulled noodles into the boiling water and cook for 2 minutes. Stir the noodles with chopsticks to prevent them from sticking together. If you use store-bought noodles, refer to the package for cooking instructions (may take longer to cook).
- Drain the noodles well with a spider strainer or colander and place it in a bowl. (You do not need to rinse the noodles under running water).
- Add all seasonings over the noodles including soy sauce, vinegar, scallions, garlic, chilli flakes, Sichuan pepper, and cumin. Set aside.
- In a small pot, heat vegetable oil over medium high heat for 2 minutes until the hot oil starts to sizzle and smoke. Then, pour the hot oil over the scallions and chilli flakes on top of the noodles. You should notice the spices sizzle immediately and become fragrant.
- Stir well with chopsticks to coat the noodles evenly with the oil and seasonings.
How to store: Biang biang spicy noodles are best served fresh. Once the noodles start going cold, they will stick together and get stiff. If you happen to have leftovers, you can store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, but the noodles may clump together. To reheat, steam the noodles or heat in the microwave.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 minutes
- Category: Noodles
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Chinese
Keywords: biang biang spicy noodles, biang biang noodles, xi'an noodles, spicy chili oil noodles, xi'an chili oil noodles, hand pulled noodles with chili oil