Better than takeout, baked sesame chicken with vegetables is delicious, flavourful, sticky and saucy. This healthier Chinese dish is quick and easy to make.
For the chicken:
- 1 lb. chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups Panko breadcrumbs
- cooking oil spray
For the vegetables:
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
For the sticky honey sauce:
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons liquid honey
- 1 tablespoon black vinegar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon green onions, finely sliced
Prepare the Chicken and Vegetables:
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Pat dry chicken breasts completely with a paper towel and cut into 1-inch cubes. Place into a medium mixing bowl and season with salt and pepper. Set aside for at least 10 minutes.
- In a large ziploc bag, add flour and cubed chicken. Seal the bag and shake well to coat.
- Prepare a shallow plate with the Panko breadcrumbs and another with the beaten eggs. Dip one piece of chicken at a time into the egg wash and evenly coat it, then evenly coat in the breadcrumbs. The flour will stick to the chicken, the egg wash sticks to the flour, and the breadcrumbs will stick to the egg wash.
- Arrange the breaded chicken on a large half sheet baking pan lined with parchment paper. Spray the chicken with cooking oil spray. This helps create a crispy crust on the outside during baking.
- In a large mixing bowl, add broccoli, cauliflower, olive oil, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Toss to coat. Spread the vegetable mix in a single layer on one half of the same baking pan.
- Bake the chicken with vegetables for 25 to 30 minutes until chicken is fully cooked. The internal temperature for the chicken should be 165F. Set the pan aside.
Prepare the Sauce and Assemble:
- In a medium mixing bowl, add soy sauce, honey, vinegar, ketchup, brown sugar and cornstarch. Stir well to mix until cornstarch and sugar dissolves.
- In a large wok or skillet, heat oil over medium heat for 2 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute until fragrant. Turn down to low heat and stir in sauce mixture. Stir well until it thickens, about 2-3 minutes. Keep heat on low heat while stirring.
- Add the cooked chicken and vegetables to the sauce pan. Toss to coat with the sauce. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and green onions.
- Serve over a bowl of steamed rice.
How to serve: Serve baked sesame chicken over a bowl of steamed rice or vegetarian fried rice. It also pairs really well with most Chinese dishes such as shanghai style fried noodles, Chinese garlic cucumber salad and air fryer vegetable stir fry with tofu.
How to store: Store any leftover baked sesame chicken in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, heat on the stove over medium heat for 5-10 minutes until warmed through.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Oven Baked
- Cuisine: Chinese
Keywords: baked sesame chicken, sesame chicken, sesame chicken with vegetables, sesame chicken with broccoli, sheet pan sesame chicken with vegetables