Over 50 best comfort food recipes including warm pastas and lasagna, cozy soups and curries, creamy and cheesy dinners, and vegetarian comfort food. One of my favorites is this Meat Lasagna.
For the lasagna noodles:
- 9 dry lasagna noodles
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the meat sauce:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 3 cups tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
For the cheese mixture:
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 + 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded and divided
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated and divided
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Cook the lasagna noodles: Bring a large pot of water to a boil over medium high heat. Add lasagna noodles, olive oil and salt and cook until al dente (fully cooked but still firm), or according to package directions, about 10 minutes. Rinse the noodles under cold water to stop the cooking process and set aside in the pot.
- Prepare the meat sauce: Heat oil in a large pot or Dutch oven for 2 minutes over medium-high heat until the oil is sizzling hot. Add ground beef and cook for 5-7 minutes until browned. Add onion and garlic. Stir well to combine and continue cooking for 3-4 minutes until tender. Pour tomato sauce, tomato paste, salt and parsley. Stir well to mix and bring the meat sauce to a simmer. Turn the heat down to low and let it simmer for 10 minutes uncovered. Set aside.
- Prepare the cheese mixture: In a medium bowl, combine ricotta cheese, 1 cup mozzarella, 1/4 cup Parmesan, beaten egg, and parsley. Stir well to combine together.
- Assemble the lasagna:
- Sauce: Evenly spread 1 cup of the meat sauce in a 9x13 baking pan.
- Noodles: Place 3 lasagna noodles evenly apart over the meat sauce.
- Cheese: Spread 1/2 of the cheese mixture evenly over the noodles.
- Sauce: Spread 1/2 the remaining meat sauce on top.
- Noodles: Top with another layer of 3 lasagna noodles.
- Cheese: Spread remaining half of cheese mixture.
- Noodles: Top with last 3 pieces of lasagna noodles.
- Sauce: Add remaining meat sauce on top.
- Shredded cheese: Top with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- Bake the lasagna: Lightly grease a large piece of aluminum foil and cover the pan with the greased side inside. Greasing the foil prevents the melted cheese from sticking to the foil while baking. Bake the lasagna covered for 45 minutes. Then, remove the foil and bake uncovered for another 20 minutes or until the melted cheese turns golden brown and bubbly. Optionally, turn on broiler on high and broil for 3-4 minutes to get a crispy and brown cheesy crust. But keep a close eye on the broiler as things can burn quickly.
- Cool down: Let the lasagna cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Category: Casserole
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: comfort food recipes, comfort food dinner ideas, comfort food dinners, winter comfort food