Over 30 best instant pot recipes for the pressure cooker including chicken and turkey, curries and stews, soup, rice, vegetables, and more quick dinners. One of my favorite pressure cooker recipes is this Instant Pot Whole Chicken.
- 1 medium whole chicken (3 pounds)
- 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 lemon
- 3-4 sprigs of thyme or rosemary
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
For the gravy:
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper (or to taste)
- Pat the whole chicken completely dry using a paper towel. Rub on oil, salt, pepper, paprika, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder evenly to season. Set aside on a plate for at least 30 minutes or refrigerate overnight. When ready to cook, it’s ideal to bring the marinated chicken to room temperature to achieve even cooking and more tender and juicier meat.
- Stuff the lemon half and fresh thyme into the cavity of the chicken.
- Truss the chicken by tying the chicken snugly with cooking twine so that the wings and legs stay close to the body. This helps cook the whole chicken evenly.
- Place a rack that can be fitted into the instant pot into the pot and add broth. The broth will be used to make gravy later, it also stops the chicken drippings from burning.
- Place the chicken (breast side up) on the rack and seal the lid (the steam release knob must be turned to the sealed position). Set the chicken on pressure cooking for 25 minutes. For each extra pound of chicken, cook 6 more minutes.
- Once the time is up, let the instant pot slowly release the pressure, about 15 minutes. The internal temperature of the thickest part of the breast should reach 165F as read on a meat thermometer.
- To make chicken skin extra crispy and browned, turn on the oven broiler and set it to high. Broil the chicken on a baking sheet for 5-7 minutes. Keep a close eye on the broiler because things can heat up and burn quickly. Remove the pan from the oven and let the chicken sit at room temperature for at least 15 minutes.
Prepare the gravy:
- On the Instant Pot, switch the Sauté function on high. Add flour, chicken broth, and butter to the chicken drippings in the pot. Whisk well until smooth and cook until thickened to a desired consistency, about 2-3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Carve the chicken and serve with gravy on top.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: 30 instant pot recipes, instant pot recipes, pressure cooker recipes, recipes in the instant pot, how to cook in the instant pot, best instant pot recipes