Over 40 warm and cozy fall soup recipes from smooth and creamy to hearty and meaty to noodle soup and more, with lots of vegetarian, vegan and gluten-free options. One of my favorites is this Butternut Squash Soup recipe.
- 1 large butternut squash
- 2 carrots
- 3 stalks of celery
- 1 large onion
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 6 sage leaves
- 6 sprigs of thyme
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne red pepper powder (or less, if you do not want a little kick)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 + 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Peel, pit and chop the butternut squash into 1 inch squares. Add to a large roasting pan.
- Chop the carrots, celery and onions in big chunks and add to the pan. Peel the garlic and add cloves whole or halved.
- Add the herbs (easier to puree later if stems are removed), red pepper powder, salt and pepper. Add olive oil and toss to coat.
- Roast for 1 hour until veggies are soft and tender (check the carrots in particular). If veggies are not soft, cook for another 15 minutes.
- Transfer cooked vegetables to food processor (or blender) with 1 cup of vegetable stock and puree until smooth and creamy, or until desired consistency is reached. You may need to do this in a couple batches. Note: If stems are still on the herbs, remove before pureeing as they do not process very well (particularly the thyme)
- Pour mixture into a large saucepan. Add the remaining vegetable stock and stir well. Simmer on low for 10 minutes. If the consistency of the soup is too thick, just thin it out with some water until you reach your desired consistency.
- Garnish with additional fresh herbs (optional) and serve!
Make ahead: Most of these fall soup recipes are really easy to make ahead and stores easily in the fridge or freezer. Depending on the recipe, you can make the soup a day or so ahead of time or you can choose to just prep the ingredients in advance. This will be a life-saver if you are entertaining a crowd. So whether that means chopping up vegetables or mixing ingredients together, it's makes things go a lot more smoothly and quicker when you are cooking. You can store all your prepared ingredients in airtight containers in the refrigerator.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: 25 comforting and hearty fall soup recipes, the best fall soups, fall soup recipes, fall recipes, butternut squash soup