Nothing says comfort food better than a creamy chicken, broccoli and quinoa casserole made with fresh and healthy ingredients.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced into strips
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 3/4 cup milk or half and half cream
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-inch square casserole dish.
- Season sliced chicken breasts generously with salt and pepper.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken breasts and cook 3-4 minutes on each side, until browned. Set aside.
- On the same skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Scrape the brown bits off the bottom of the pan. Add onions and sauté for 1 minute. Add garlic and sauté for another minute or 2 until onions are soft and translucent.
- Add in flour and cook for 1 minute until lightly browned. Whisk in the chicken stock and milk. Bring to a boil and add parsley. Cook for 2 minutes, continuously whisking.
- Turn heat down to low, add broccoli and simmer covered for 3 minutes.
- Stir in quinoa, chicken, Greek yogurt, 3/4 cup of the cheese, salt and pepper. Toss to combine.
- Spread mixture into the casserole dish. Bake for 12 minutes.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese and the Panko bread crumbs on top. Bake for another 5 minutes until cheese in melted and top is lightly browned.